Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain for a MFA website better than parking with Sedo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

uni-market

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I need to park a domain on sedo.com ,I will wish use the domain for a MFA (Made For Adsense )website.
Before I say why I will do that ,I will show the rules of Sedo.com

Domain owners may not click on advertising links displayed on their own domain names, nor ask friends, family, employees, or others to do so.
(Reasonable and Adsense require you to do this too)

Domain owner may not beg, ask, entice, or provide incentives for visitors to click on advertising links.
(Reasonable and Adsense require you to do this too)

Domain owner may not re-direct traffic to their parked domain name. This prohibition includes, but is not limited to, traffic redirected from other domain names, traffic originating from advertising and purchased traffic such as pop-under or exit traffic. Each domain name must be parked separately.
(Unreasonable and Adsense let you put your link on other websites)

Domain owner may not modify the Parking Program page or code in any way without prior approval. Only clicks originating from an unmodified, Parking Program-served parking page will be considered valid.
(Unreasonable and Adsense even teach you how to put the ad placement to increase the CTR)

Domain owner may not place the Parking Program page within a frame without prior written approval from Sedo.
(Unreasonable and Adsense let you put the ads on the iframe)

Sedo reserves the right to terminate your Parking Program account if it is idle for more than one month.
(Unreasonable and Adsense won't do this)

Why I compare parking with sedo and adsense?

Fisrt,the provider of sedo is google ,the ad revenue of sedo.com will divided into 3 parts ,one part for google,one part for sedo,one part for you who is the owner of domain.But when you join the adsense program,the ad revenue will be only divided into two parts .So We can earn more from adsense.

Second,Using adsense you can have more freedom to control your Ads,less limitations.But when you park your domain with sedo.com.Your traffic could only come from someone input your domain.And remember sedo.com now refuse the typo domains,so you must thank the god that the visitor input your domain correctly.But when you join adsense,you can still use seo to get more traffic .

S

SedoCoUk

Hi uni-market,

I would just like to say that I can't imagine any parking provider would allow unnatural traffic to be driven to its clients' parked pages. Unnatural traffic undermines the integrity of domain parking and drives down revenues across the board.

All parking companies are cracking down on this and Sedo is no exception. We have many clients who are professional domainers and make a living off the natural traffic which our advertisers love. In order to protect them, we can only accept natural traffic. If we sent unnatural traffic to our advertisers, the uniques would be clicking like crazy, but not buying anything. This isn't the idea of domain parking.

Owning domains with a certain intrinsic value is key. The name of the game is having a domain that people would possibly type in to look for a product and then optimizing the keywords so that they will actually have something to buy when they land on your parked page.

If traffic is forced to see your ads, the chances that anyone will buy is incredibly low. The advertisers have to pay for the click, but get nothing in return. This is when they start paying less per click, which causes parking companies like Sedo to suspend parking accounts and delete revenues.

I don't see how unnatural traffic helps the industry or the people earning their living in any way.

Kind regards,

Brad
[email protected]

uni-market

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't mean that you should accept unnatural traffic.What I mean is that comparing with parking a domain with sedo ,maybe using the domain for adsense will be more profitable and better.Your terms are too strict.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The terms are not too strict. They are... reasonable. By the way, comparing Sedo's TOS and Google AdSense's TOS is like comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. These are two entirely different services.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
SedoCoUk said:
....If traffic is forced to see your ads, the chances that anyone will buy is incredibly low....

I agree with most of your policies but stongly disagree with the draconian claim that redirecting any traffic from other domains you own is not natural.

For example, say I own domainexample.com and also own domainexample.net so what in the world is wrong with redirecting the net to the com?

Another example is bigbluewidgets.com and I also own largebluewidgets.com which is redirected. They are both Blue Widget product domains.

Still another example is stockmarkets.com which redirects to stockmarket.com.

This kind of forwarding is equal quality traffic to the domain it redirects to and would have zero effect on the conversions to the advertisor.

So why is that against your TOS?

IMO. the answer very well could be that you simply do not trust your clients to redirect same kind traffic so therefore you ban it completely. But why not trust the clients as the best way for them to get a good CTR is by visitors looking for the product indentified by the domain so it would be foolish to not redirect like kind traffic correctly.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
trader said:
For example, say I own domainexample.com and also own domainexample.net so what in the world is wrong with redirecting the net to the com?
Most of the domains parked at Sedo are also for sale. Stats would be faked if you forwarded e.g. X.net to X.com. Buyers would get wrong information and would possibly pay too much.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dodo1 said:
Most of the domains parked at Sedo are also for sale. Stats would be faked if you forwarded e.g. X.net to X.com. Buyers would get wrong information and would possibly pay too much.

That's a good point but say someone like me only has 1 domain listed for sale at Sedo but also hundreds of domains only there for its ppc parking and not for sale, so why penalize all those names with like-kind traffic redirections not permitted?

Another solution would be for Sedo to look at the stats for domains for sale and reveal the referrer log information of say the top-5 or whatever of the referral sources. That would identify where most of the non-direct traffic is coming from, including forwarded traffic.

P.S. Come to think of it that would be an excellent idea to implement anyway and would greatly reduce fraudulent traffic domain sales by giving helpful information to the buyers.

DomainTakers

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree, Sedo's rules are too strict.

I had a month of revenue of around $300.
Sedo decided to tell me after the month was up that they werent going to pay me. How convenient for them to wait until they received their entire end of their revenues.

I spoke with one of the customer service reps and provided horrible follow-through. Safe to say, I've been using a different service for the past 3 months which allowed my to consistly up my domain parking revenues into the 2k a month range.

I have zero affiliation with them, but if you'd like to know who, feel free to PM me.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A response from Sedo about this post would be much appreciated.

I agree with most of your policies but stongly disagree with the draconian claim that redirecting any traffic from other domains you own is not natural.

Another example is bigbluewidgets.com and I also own largebluewidgets.com which is redirected. They are both Blue Widget product domains.

Still another example is stockmarkets.com which redirects to stockmarket.com.

This kind of forwarding is equal quality traffic to the domain it redirects to and would have zero effect on the conversions to the advertisor.

So why is that against your TOS?

IMO. the answer very well could be that you simply do not trust your clients to redirect same kind traffic so therefore you ban it completely. But why not trust the clients as the best way for them to get a good CTR is by visitors looking for the product indentified by the domain so it would be foolish to not redirect like kind traffic correctly.

S

SedoCoUk

Hi,

Redirecting traffic to parked domains is banned (against our TOS).

The cases were people actually redirect related traffic are very rare. However, if you feel like you have a case where you feel redirecting related traffic would be OK, please feel free to contact your account manager, [email protected], [email protected],or myself and one of us would be happy to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

I'll reiterate, I have seen redirected traffic that was related so few times that I could multiply by 3 and still only use one hand.

So, we would be happy to examine the individual merits of doing this on a case-by-case basis, but unless the traffic is very much related, chances are, we wouldn't allow it.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask!

Kind regards,

Brad
[email protected]

S

SedoCoUk

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to make another point as to why redirecting traffic is banned.

Sedo is a marketplace for domain names and there are people who are looking to buy traffic domains. Redirecting traffic (related or not) skews the stats for the domain. This means, you could theoretically ask for a higher price for the domain and the buyer will be severely disappointed when the traffic they are paying for is suddenly no longer there.

I'm sure there are people on this forum who have had this happen to them at one time or another. We will maintain the integrity of our marketplace and unless your case is dire (again, I have seen 1 case in which this would work well and there are 5 million domains for sell on Sedo), redirecting is banned.

Kind regards,

Brad
[email protected]

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This guy is comparing apples to oranges.
You either park your domains and let the parking provider take care of the ads and landing page, or you develop your domains and add your own content and ads.
You either want to work and build sites or you park your names and take the easy route. If you have good domains, you don't need to worry about where you'll get the traffic from when you park them.
If you don't have traffic on them, your better off unparking them and developing them into content rich websites to rank in organic search engine results. Then you'll attract visitors who'll then possibly click your ads and maybe even want to contact you to buy your domain.

You can't compare this in the way you do. There's merits with building your own websites and there's merits when you park your domains with Sedo (or any of the other parking companies, basically the same rules apply across the board).

S

SedoCoUk

Hi Trader,

Assuming all your domains were parked and not listed for sale, I'm still not seeing the motivation (or need) for redirecting traffic.

If you could let me know, that would be great. Because until now, redirecting traffic has only meant inflating traffic stats or cheating.

Kind regards,

Brad
[email protected]

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sedopro said:
Just wanted to make another point as to why redirecting traffic is banned
If redirecting is against TOS why does a SEDO FEATURED DOMAIN, "directions.info" redirect to "mynewslink.com" Something stinks.
"directions.info" is listed as a featured domain right on the front page, I would like an re-explanation of the TOS, please.
Be careful fellow domainers, It looks like "redirecting" is overlooked at Sedo if you pay $$$.

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm still not seeing the motivation (or need) for redirecting traffic.

If you could let me know, that would be great.

Hi Brad,

Redirecting obvious typo domains might give a slightly better ctr for a sedo-type landing page.

Eg if you own cellpgones.com and cool.info (and of course assuming cellphones is not a protected trademark) redirecting cellpgones.com to an url like www.cellphones.com.cool.info/index.htm may help - simply because people are more likely to quickly close their browser window if they see an obvious typo like cellpgones.com.

I don't know about sedo, but I've tried this with other google-based content and there is a difference in ctr in some cases.

Admittedly though, this is a tiny niche thing.

Regards,
Mathias

S

SedoCoUk

Hi Bob,

Thanks for catching that. Mynewslink.com is not parked with Sedo. We would obviously be most worried about domains which are parked with us receiving redirected traffic. There is very little I can do about people redirecting traffic to other parking programs, other than to tell them that it's not necessarily a good thing. However, I'll let the other parking programs make sure their TOS are being followed.

Kind regards,

Brad
[email protected]

If redirecting is against TOS why does a SEDO FEATURED DOMAIN, "directions.info" redirect to "mynewslink.com" Something stinks.
"directions.info" is listed as a featured domain right on the front page, I would like an re-explanation of the TOS, please.
Be careful fellow domainers, It looks like "redirecting" is overlooked at Sedo if you pay $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom