Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain forward problem - Please, help

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking for a provider who can offer a service similar to mydomain.com where I can add and forward an unlimited number of domains to diff. external urls where not only the main address but all its subdirectories and subdomains should redirect to the same place (ie. anything-I-digit.myname.com and myname.com/anything-I-digit should redirect the visitor to the same destination address).

I know about zoneedit.com but it's too expensive, any other solution to solve my problem ? Ok for applying for a paid service but fees should be reasonable and the server managed by a reliable company.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The easiest way I find forwarding domains is through the domain forwarding service at my registrar, GoDaddy. If you don't have free forwarding service or it's unavailable at yours, another solution would be getting a HostGator baby plan account at $9.95 and you can host unlimited domains as well as setup redirection for them.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hostgator might be the perfect solution but can you setup a forward of myname.com/anything-i-digit or only for myname.com while if someone should typo things like myname.com/something the page display an error alert ?

Any host company is offering a basic forward service but I don't know one who's offering a complete forward of all subdirectories and subdomains simultaneously, let me know then I'll try them, thanks.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If I understand you correctly, you want any *.domain.com or domain.com/* to forward to *.newdomain.com and newdomain.com/* respectively. This can be achieved in the HostGator control panel by adding a redirect and checking the box "Wild Card redirect" when doing so.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Not exactly, I want that anything.domain.com and domain.com/anything are forwarded to the same url, not only the version w/without www

A clear example: softwareidea.com

www.softwareidea.com/test
www.softwareidea.com/test1
www.softwareidea.com/test2
www.softwareidea.com/test3
test1.softwareidea.com
test2.softwareidea.com
test3.softwareidea.com etc ...
anything you type associated with this domain, will redirect you at the same place; is there any company which can allow me to apply the same settings to my domains in order to forward them anywhere I need ?

Thanks again for helping.

gckorn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Should be able to accomplish what you want with a combination of mod_rewrite in .htaccess and, if needed for the subdomains, add a wildcard CNAME to the DNS zone and configure Apache to handle the wildcarded subdomains.

gckorn
http://www.maine.info/hosting

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've no technical knowledge to take care of this kind of changes unfortunately but I'll pass these data to someone else who might be able to help me, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom