Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain Industry Slowing Down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was wondering....

As more and more domain names are registered each day, more then likely your chances of getting a "good" unregistered domain name is slim. Back 1997, lots of domains were unregistered, domains that we would call "good domains" today.

Weather or not directly or indirectly, to counter this ICANN allowed other extensions, directly or indirectly they thought they would catch on like .com, but of course they didn't, they made .com more popular!

I'm guessing now, the only "Real Way" for a noobie to get into the "Domain Game" would be to have a domain that you purchased from another seller.

Unless of course, your going to develop some odd and random name.

Current events and new news, help the industry as well ;)

Do you think the domain industry is slowing down? Or is it on its begining peak still?.. :smartass:

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
I was wondering....

As more and more domain names are registered each day, more then likely your chances of getting a "good" unregistered domain name is slim. Back 1997, lots of domains were unregistered, domains that we would call "good domains" today.

Weather or not directly or indirectly, to counter this ICANN allowed other extensions, directly or indirectly they thought they would catch on like .com, but of course they didn't, they made .com more popular!

I'm guessing now, the only "Real Way" for a noobie to get into the "Domain Game" would be to have a domain that you purchased from another seller.

Do you think the domain industry is slowing down? Or is it on its begining peak still?.. :smartass:

The internet is still in its infancy so three letter.coms at $1500 will seem a bargain in the next few years,yep the more extensions coming out makes .com stronger !

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
britishbulldog said:
The internet is still in its infancy............yep the more extensions coming out makes .com stronger !
Alternatively, it is also likely that as the Internet and today's kids grow up and mature together and there's more and more serious usage of various ccTLDs (.de, .co.uk, .us. .cn, .in, etc etc) as well as sTLDs (.xxx, .travel, .mobi, etc etc) there'd be common recognition that Internet in fact does NOT start and end with .com, and that the letters/characters to the right of the dot do have specific purpose and meaning!! At least, thats my hope and desire and I'm pretty confident that I might actually see that happen in next 5, 10, 15 years.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan, You're right saying that it'll be more difficult and more expensive for
a "newbie" to enter the domain business. However, that's not a sign for the
domain business slowing down. In fact, I think we haven't reached the peak
of the industry so far. The prices of domain names will increase even further.
So will the number of registered domains. Therefore buying domain names is
a good investment, in my opinion, because domains are very unlikely to lose
their value. They will only increase in value! This fact will attract more and
more companies and investors to enter the domain industry; and this will re-
result in a fast-growing and flexible market. I don't see a golden future for the
new sTLDs though. Those extensions are for the birds (my honest opinion).
Only ccTLDs will experience a big growth in value, similar to the Internet's #1
extension .com. After all, you'll be doing best when keeping your domain names
for the next months and years, because their value will only enhance.

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my mind, it's .com or bust, unless it's a REALLY good name, and even then I rarely go past .net without owning the .com.

I think .com's will become more popular in the coming years, as they become more and more rare and sought after.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
007 said:
In my mind, it's .com or bust, unless it's a REALLY good name, and even then I rarely go past .net without owning the .com.

I think .com's will become more popular in the coming years, as they become more and more rare and sought after.

Agree,i think im gonna sell all my other extensions and stick with just .com and net as i see further growth in .net as for .biz its gonna be a long time its been around for a while and you can still pick up some nice ones cheap and i think it will remain that way for the foreseeable future !

furca

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm actually starting to prefer .net (of course id rather have .com), its just more "technical", and although it may never pass .com, it will come pretty dawgon close!

M

mole

007 said:

That was the thinking back in 1998-1999, prior to ICANN being formed.

In the past, the theory of ARTIFICIAL SCARCITY made .COM seem as though it was some kind of precious metal that was finite and depleting fast. Nobody could imagine that any other extension would exist. The thinking that the gods had decreed that the Internet was to made up of .COM/.NET/.ORG, end of story.

Well, time to wake up and smell the flowers. Internet addressing is as infinite as the sand on the beach. Artificial scarcity is a lie. And .COM prices will come down in the coming years, whether we like it or not.

The Internet has changed, and is changing by the MONTH, not years.
- IDNs
- New 2nd level ccTLDs
- Sponsored gTLDs

The new generation of web surfers are growing up to an Internet addressing paradigm that is far more reaching than just .COM. In the next year, everyone will be talking and sniggering about .XXX in the pubs, the hallways, the men's room...

The domain industry has not slowed down, its only laggard old foggie thinking that makes it so. :rolleyes:

mmkrulz

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
That was the thinking back in 1998-1999, prior to ICANN being formed.

In the past, the theory of ARTIFICIAL SCARCITY made .COM seem as though it was some kind of precious metal that was finite and depleting fast. Nobody could imagine that any other extension would exist. The thinking that the gods had decreed that the Internet was to made up of .COM/.NET/.ORG, end of story.

Well, time to wake up and smell the flowers. Internet addressing is as infinite as the sand on the beach. Artificial scarcity is a lie. And .COM prices will come down in the coming years, whether we like it or not.

The Internet has changed, and is changing by the MONTH, not years.
- IDNs
- New 2nd level ccTLDs
- Sponsored gTLDs

The new generation of web surfers are growing up to an Internet addressing paradigm that is far more reaching than just .COM. In the next year, everyone will be talking and sniggering about .XXX in the pubs, the hallways, the men's room...

The domain industry has not slowed down, its only laggard old foggie thinking that makes it so. :rolleyes:
So eventually, the value of a the domain address itself will be not as much as the content within itself, is that what we are getting closer to?

Mark Bolyard

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So here is what I am trying to figure out. What really makes any domain name special? You can have a really bad domain, long, full of numbers, dashes, doesn't even matter if its easy to remember...If the website there has alot of valuable content, and the site is optimized for search engines, then it has every bit of being just as good a domain as having aaa.com sitting at sedo or some other parking service.

Yes the obvious is having a bad name and a good name with the same great website, the good name is best because you can remember it easier, but to be honest, when I come accross good names, or what I perceive to be a good name, it's parked and not being used to it's fullest potential.

M

mole

Felix said:
but to be honest, when I come accross good names, or what I perceive to be a good name, it's parked and not being used to it's fullest potential.

True. Good .COM names are strangled in PPC weed. This is what's going demine the .COM experience in the mid-long term.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The people with "deep pockets" will decide all these issues for us. But for now it is definately .com , as an example website.com for $750,000 last week , they could have easily registered something or bought a $500 domain and put all that money into branding , but the "deep pockets" know the inherant value of a great .com , this will not change anytime soon.

M

mole

Searchsix.com said:
The people with "deep pockets" will decide all these issues for us. But for now it is definately .com

The people with "deep pockets" and unnatural obsession with domains to pay such money comprise probably 0.000001% of the businesses who need web addresses.

The other 99.999999% of businesses probably have a tolerance level of something between reg fee and $10,000 for a name, then develop and use search engines, directory listings to build traffic.

Then again, the Germans prize .DE above .COM for some reason.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duncan said:
I was wondering....

domains were not always considered to be "good" investments or worth anything.. those that saw the potential were rewarded nicely.

you have to look into the future, always... whats not worth much today will be one day.... is that guaranteed? no.. nothing is. but if you do your homework and know whats your doing you will succeed, it is a numbers game.. and you have all of the information right there infront of ya.

there is many other ways... think outside the box. or you can simply follow trends... go ahead and ask yourself what are other well established and successful domainers doing this days... ?

serious domainers rarely if ever develop... domains are parked... ppc is in their blood. it's easy money... launching and developing domains has nothing to do with the domain industry. it's a whole different ball game... not the main focus either... what is important to a domainer is acquiring lots of domains for ppc or resell.

definitely not slowing down... its still not matured to its full potential... long way to go.

most ppl still dont know the advantages of a good domain... they aren't even familiar with what a domain is....or what is its purpose... it will take time and effort to educate the general public who are not e-literate... but sooner or later.. they will find out.... and i'm sure you know what happens next.

blindchild

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
For me, DomainIndustry will always grow. Three months go we sold via sedo www.hotdate.com for $55,000 and cashflow.com for $56,500. And you can see the recent sales, all at the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom