Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

domain lost in WIPO but not taken away....

Status
Not open for further replies.

polish_aristocrat

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it happens ocassionally that a company wins a domain in WIPO against a cybersquatter, but the domain still stays with the cybersquatter for some reasons ( someone at the company is too lazy to actually take it away from him? his registrar doesnt want to cooperate? )

anyway, can such domain be sold and transfered to another person ( another registrar ) f.e two years after the cybersquatter "lost" it in WIPO? or is it somehow permanently locked and can't be transferred anywhere else other that to the company who has the rights to it?

EDIT: its obvious that the new person buying it would also risk getting sued and losing this domain, but that is not the question

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would probably depend on the registrar. Some registrars may just keep them locked.

Sometimes there is difficulty coordinating the actual transfer of the domain name to the client. Accordingly, the domain name stays where it is.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I settled out on a domain instead of going through the fight, they have the domain in their account, but to my surprise they never bothered to change the nameserves, so I never bothered to take down the parking either, 30 uniques a day, LOL , they even renewed it for me recently :)

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNjet said:
they never bothered to change the nameserves ..... they even renewed it for me recently :)

I love the irony. What is the company ? Maybe I'll reg some TM's and they can WIPO them and pay for my renewal fees, too.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DNjet said:
I settled out on a domain instead of going through the fight, they have the domain in their account, but to my surprise they never bothered to change the nameserves, so I never bothered to take down the parking either, 30 uniques a day, LOL , they even renewed it for me recently :)

Been there, done that more than once! What idiots they can be.

polish_aristocrat

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok thanks guys, but what I ask is precisely is, if you lose a domain in WIPO, but the company "forgets" to transfer it to themselves, then can you theoretically sell it and transfer to someone else to a different registrar a few years later?

or is the domain somehow permanently marked either at the registarr or registry level, as being lost in WIPO and therefore the only possible transfer of that domain would be to the company who has the rights to it ( won it in WIPO )

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
polish_aristocrat said:
ok thanks guys, but what I ask is precisely is, if you lose a domain in WIPO, but the company "forgets" to transfer it to themselves, then can you theoretically sell it and transfer to someone else to a different registrar a few years later?

Sell it, yes. Transfer it, no.

Like John said, the registrar will surely lock it and keep it locked pending any
response from the UDRP provider or Court. Depending on the registrar, little to
no changes can be applied to the domain name while it's locked up good.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You would be opening yourself up to even more liability I would presume.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom