Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain lottery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been playing with this idea for some time now, and I was wondering if you would like it...

Let's say I have a bunch of domains to offer. They're no grade-A domains, but I want to get rid of them. Now let's say I make a pack of 5 (or 10 or whatever) of those domains.

I would ask $1 (or so) for a "lottery ticket" you could purchase to win these domains. After I get what I want for the domains (for example $35 for the whole bunch) I will randomly select 1 winner from the batch of people that bought a $1 ticket...

Would you be interested in that?

I mean; everyone has a change to win a bunch of names for only $1. (And $1, everyone can spare!)

Good idea or not?

Tino

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could work, I think you need to go $2 though.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tino said:
I will randomly select 1 winner from the batch of people that bought a $1 ticket...

That aspect is probably the most difficult to do openly and without complaint - for YOU to do it is probably not the best way to go. (My personal observation, not a DNF comment!).

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah, hardest part is to find someone everything can/will trust to pick the winner. :)

Tino

Sub

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The winner can be randomly generated - it doesn't have to be 'picked' a person.

I think this might be a good idea. Worth a shot!

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why not start a section on DNF for this very thing. Each person donates some Forum $ (= to 1 or 2 real dollars) to the owner of the domain in each lottery thread that they are interested in. Maybe even have a VB hack created for this. Have the owner post a set number of tickets that must be sold for the drawing to begin in each lottery. The owner could always cash in the F$ for real money, and this could be a great way to get some really great names going in the lottery. I'd sure be willing to spend some serious F$ for a chance at winning a name worth a few thousand, or even as a seller, I could have the opportunity to get maybe even more than I would sell the name outright for.

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Suggested.

Wow...

Nice to see the idea get adopted... :)

Tino

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great idea. I don't have the qualitity of the domains to put up, but I sure would use some DNF$ to buy tickets. Tino your avatar rules btw :p

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So... How do we get started on this?

I have some not-to-great names I'm willing to put at risk to try this out!

Or should I just "do it"?

Tino

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If DNF does not want to do it, I may create a hack for this and start a forum just for a domain lottery. Of course DNF$ would be acceptable payment, and it would be much easier if DNF is game to institute it here.

And Tino, as I see it there is no risk, if we use the method I mentioned above. The owner of the name places the name and a set proxy for when the lottery would start.

Just waiting to hear from DNF.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Suggestion being considered - recent downtime interrupted thought processes!

Domainut said:
Just waiting to hear from DNF.

Official decision is not at this time as an official DNF feature.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
There used to be such a thing at DomainRaffle.com. You paid $1 for a ticket and when all tickets were sold, they picked a winner. I won one of them once.

-Bob

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

For starters, I have set up one "Lottery"!

You can check it out here

Hope you like the idea, and I hope it will work!

I'm not 100% sure I posted it in the right forum, but in case I didn't I hope a moderator/admin can move it!

Tino

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom