Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Market Overview...am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gbrott

Great forum, as a rookie I've learned a ton over the past few weeks. I'd like to try to get everyone's take on "the market" and how it really shakes out. No need to give up any secrets, but I'd like to know your thoughts...

1) Domain names drop every day - some really good ones included

2) Lots of people try to buy these domains, mostly to re-sell to others

3) It is very competitive to get the "really good" domains, especially as the big guys (buydomains etc.) seem to have a big advantage in getting the good names.

My questions about the market are:

When people get the good names, in general do they (you) hold and wait, or do you try to actively sell them?

My instinct and experience is that many mid-level (good but not great) domains are available every day withouth having to "pounce" , even to the average guy on the street. It just takes a little effort to market and sell them. Buy a good domain for $9, send out 50 emails to possible "fits" - it doesn't seem like much of a stretch to be able to sell it for $150 or $200 - not a bad profit for a few hours work. Do it a few times each week and you are all set.

Is everyone focusing on the "big guns" or does the middle market as I just described actually exist.....

Thanks in advance - i hope your eyes aren't too sore....

Domain summit 2024

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely right in your assessment, but most people see their "catch" as a lottery ticket rather than an investment and aren't happy with a 500% return.

That said, it's an awful lot of work when you have to do it over and over again. Better to focus on buying better and better names as you go up the ladder--as I have done--and sell one or two biggies a month. A lot less work.

People are infinitely cheap at the low end of the market. Not so for a proven name priced higher--people will spend freely.

Sadly, this forum is filled with small thinkers...lottery thinkers.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think you are expressing in a humble way what you think is the secret to domain selling.

There is the surface market, and there is the underground market. I believe that a lot of sales are closed between parties via email that goes unnoticed. And why should it?

Yes, many real potential buyers of names oftern don't know where to look, don't know what they can expect, and definitely, don't haunt places like Afternic looking for pats on the back or the company of other speculators.

You target down, you do your research, you email.

The personal approach is often the best.

But it takes more work.

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DnPowerful

Sadly, this forum is filled with small thinkers...lottery thinkers.

If you only knew DnP, if you only knew :cool:

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Now I know: Mole is a player.

Doesn't contradict my statement though..

G

gbrott

DnPowerful - in order to get your 1 or 2 biggies per month, do you need to put in bids using someone like snapfish, or can you simply find them? ( i think i know the answer to that). Also - do you market those names or do people come to you?

Mole - You are right for the most part - i've seen so many names that make perfect sense for someone, it probably just takes a little time to sell them (which I don't have).

Last question - can you get names that can be sold for $1000 without "snapping them up" or is the whole world on top of that...

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I completely agree with your assessment: You do your work, approach personally, and hope it works out.

And I agree that the market of sales never publicly recorded or talked about is completely hidden from view..

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do a search on my posts: I have outlined exactly how to make money selling domains elsewhere in this forum. Drops are not the the way. That's where the sheep are, along with the sharks, who get 99% of the names.

AMERICAR

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have to sign confidentiality agreements so i cant say.

NUFFIN.

:)

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now I know: Mole is a player.

Doesn't contradict my statement though..

Ever heard of the word double insinuedo? ...eh, duh?

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gbrott

Mole - You are right for the most part - i've seen so many names that make perfect sense for someone, it probably just takes a little time to sell them (which I don't have).

Of course you have time, its whether you think that is important or not. What do you want, a lottery windfall?

Alternatively, you could try praying more often :)

DnPowerful

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole

Ever heard of the word double insinuedo? ...eh, duh?

No, I haven't, lol.

Now are you talking about "innuendo" or a "double entendre"? Or maybe "insinuating" ???

Coz' I've never heard of a "double insinuendo". What is that exactly?

"Duh". :laugh:

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

No, I haven't, lol.

Now are you talking about "innuendo" or a "double entendre"? Or maybe "insinuating" ???

Coz' I've never heard of a "double insinuendo". What is that exactly?

"Duh". :laugh:

Exactly :D

mole

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
touche. 100 points to Moles Dan Dollars :D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
...You target down, you do your research, you email. The personal approach is often the best. But it takes more work.

This is true but there are big problems doing the personal approach, which is why I do not do it, not the least of which is all the time and effort involved. Also:

(1) How to get the right persons email address? If you send it to a general email address at a webfirm it will likely either go to a clerk or secretary who will delete it, or right away be deleted as spam and never reach anyone of importance.

(2) How to deal with someone with both the authority and desire to buy a good domain for their firm? Many times I had calls about names but the person calling was not the firms decision maker and nothing happened as the Pres, Owner or even the Board of Directors had to approve it, which rarely (if ever) will happen.

(3) Even if you reach someone of importance often he/she is trying to impress the boss with a low-ball offer to save money, though the firm can easily afford more. They may offer say $1000 and tell the boss they may get the name for only that much and never offer more, though the firm may be willing to pay much more but is never given the chance to offer more. I have had this happen several times with rich corporations like American Express and MCI Telephone Co. :mad:

(4) How to avoid losing your ISP Account for spamming. Sending unsolicited emails like this can get your acct terminated very easily. It happens all the time, more often than you would believe, though it's usually not publicized.

That certainly echoes what I've found realnames.

The whois contacts or normal "sales" email accounts are more likely to have admin level staff making corporate level decisions as to whether the information is even passed along.

Having a phone conversation with the right person has been the most successful for active sales - but it takes time.

Thats what makes passive enquiries so valuable as they are usually instigated by the relevant "decision maker" or at least someone at the top of the food chain.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Real Names

Pretty easy.

As for 1)

One of my big rules that i ALWAYS follow is: Never send an email without having talked to the decisionmaker first.

You don't send email first.You call em up.Why? Because

a) Personal touch reasons.Nothing beats a face2face talk,and if you can't have that,the next best thing is a phonecall

b)You can find out who the decision maker is.

Then, after having talked to someone on the phone(best would be the decisionmaker himself) you can send an email MAYBE, but you wanna have THEM to send an email.This way

a) your email don't go to the trashcan which happens most times when sending emails without a previous related call

b) you have a justification to call back a couple of days later a
and it's already like you know each other for a time.

c) it's THEM making you an written offer which you wanna prefer for eventual TM/bad faith reasons.

As for 2)

How come you have the idea to talk to ANYBODY but the decisionmaker?!

I NEVER talk to the secretary,the it guy,the promotion guy or anybody else.I only tell them as much as is necessary to get them to connect me to the decisionmaker - even if i have to lie.Why?
Because secretary's and non-decision makers tend to try to compensate their status by taking every opportunity to make themselves feel more important,ie. try to decide themselves if YOU are important enough or not.You don't want that to happen to you - so you gotta put every effort into speaking to ONLY the decisionmaker which in most cases is the owner himself or the marketing department manager.

As for 3)

Well,that's negotiation tactics.Would take too long really to go into that.You have to be patient and quick at the same time.All i can say for myself,i recently sold a 3 names .tk(!) package for $10000.

As for 4)
That must be an american phenomenon.I don't know a single person thats is afraid of their ISP here in Europe.

Anyway - mass email in terms of domains don't work anyway in my point of view.
To really achieve an above average price,you gotta TALK to people,not sending them spam.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beatz, you said "I don't know a single person thats is afraid of their ISP here in Europe." :rolleyes:

That is amazing, in the US if anyone reports you to your ISP for Spam the ISP will normally close your acct without an investigation or even notify you. It happens all the time.

Please send me the name of your Euro ISP as I would like to open an acct there to send spam. I really find it hard to believe its allowed in Europe. If so all the US spammers would have accts there as the geographic location of the ISP makes little difference.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Geez Real Names
I was almost sure the only point of interest for you would be the ISP thing.I thought you was wondering how to approach potential buyers?!
Anyway, where did i say spam was ALLOWED?! UH?
All i said people here are not afraid of their ISP's..because people seldom complain about spam to their ISP here, and the ISP seldom cares to give you a warning.
Might be, we're more relaxed...:D

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beatz you said "That must be an American phenomenon. I don't know a single person thats is afraid of their ISP here in Europe."

If you read between the lines that say's spam is tolerated or allowed, does it not?

And you are now saying both the public and isp's don't worry about spam. I find that difficult to believe, especially the isp's not caring.

I ask again, please send me the name of your Euro ISP as I seriouslly wish to open an acct there if it's so they really don't care about spams. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators