Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Name Buyer Vs. Italian Tire Giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look who's on the news:

http://boston.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2007/04/30/story6.html

Local domain name speculator Christian Zouzas is in a turf battle with Italian tire giant Pirelli & C. SpA, which claims that zero.us infringes on its flagship tire brand PZero.

Real estate attorney Zouzas, who moonlights as a cyberspace real estate tycoon, buys up generic domain names ending in .us by the dozen. His holdings include "actress.us" and "broadband.us."
Looks like you'll need to subscribe to get the full scoop.

Good luck.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to believe.

I guess the idiot complainants didn't have the nerve to try for zero.com, since that's been done once:

http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/decisions/html/2000/d2000-0161.html

Zero International Holding GmbH & Co. Kommanditgesellschaft v. Beyonet Services and Stephen Urich

Case No. D2000-0161

The word "zero" is a common English word. Although any number of organisations (including the Complainant) may have trade mark rights in such a word (and indeed the Respondent has produced evidence of numerous US trade marks which include or comprise the word "zero") that does not preclude the Respondent effecting registration of a common word on the "first come, first served" basis which was available. The Respondent’s reasons for doing so, namely that it was short, simple and easy to remember provide an entirely reasonable and proper explanation for the Respondent’s choice of this word.

It's "Number Special Month" at the NAF.

In addition to zero.us, there is also a dispute pending for 187.com.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In addition to zero.us, there is also a dispute pending for 187.com.

187? As in the police code for homicide? Unbelievable, what people think they just have rights to.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Pretty hard to believe.

At the rate people have become either stupidly brazen or brazenly stupid, you
better believe it, John. Good luck with that dispute.

Hopefully it'll be Zouzas 1, Pirello 0. Anything can happen.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
187? As in the police code for homicide? Unbelievable, what people think they just have rights to.

What's particularly outstanding is that the two cases were brought by different complainants, but they have the same attorney. 187 is the phone number in Italy for information, much like 411 is in many areas of the US. Pirelli is a large shareholder in Telecom Italia.

And, yep, 187 is indeed the police code in CA for homicide.

The claim to own rights in a number is pretty remarkable.

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's particularly outstanding is that the two cases were brought by different complainants, but they have the same attorney. 187 is the phone number in Italy for information, much like 411 is in many areas of the US. Pirelli is a large shareholder in Telecom Italia.

Yes, because when I saw the movie 187, I was thinking of something other than murder. And when I hear the term 187 in songs I think of something other than the police code. If you can, reference Sublime using "187 on a motherf-ing cop" in their song April 26, 1992. :lol:

Also. Maybe they should sue the Smashing Pumpkins for using Zero as the title to one of their songs because that's all I think about is "tires" when I listen to it.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

RatherGood

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I'm curious about this are there any government or commercial rights (trademarks, patents etc) pertaining to 411 "search" or telco 411 service? I see alot of high priced domains containing 411 in them with reference to web search, or a web directory, etc.

AlienGG

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this are there any government or commercial rights (trademarks, patents etc) pertaining to 411 "search" or telco 411 service? I see alot of high priced domains containing 411 in them with reference to web search, or a web directory, etc.

It's been standardized and just as common as 911.
There are only 10 x11 numbers available. I don't think FCC will allow redundant businesses to use other x11 numbers. Since the 11 subfix has become an aged standard, it sounds odd to have something like 422 or 755. It also needs a lot of marketing effort to make people be aware that the 3 digit number is, in fact, a phone number.
Back to your question. 411 is, in fact, a phone directory. What do you do with it? Search!

Sarcle

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

411 has become ingrained in popular culture. When someone asks "What's the 411?" You know they want to know what's going on.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
John's doing a great job,,he lives up to his reputation!

I hope you feel the same way after the decision.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone find Irony in the fact that it's an Italian company and a .us extension? That just makes it all the stranger to me.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone find Irony in the fact that it's an Italian company and a .us extension? That just makes it all the stranger to me.

That irony was not lost in the Response.

They don't even own zero.it - it belongs to a software company in Italy.

Normally a domain dispute complainant will argue that its customers are being "diverted" from its website. Pirelli has never had zero.ANYTHING, so you really have to do some head scratching on the "diversion" argument.

It's been standardized and just as common as 911.

911?

Do you mean the Porsche?

Do you realize that if your car breaks down in Italy, you can call 187 to find out where to get Zero's for your 911?

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you realize that if your car breaks down in Italy, you can call 187 to find out where to get Zero's for your 911?

In the US you would dial 411 to find your 0's for your 9-11. But dial 911 if you have 411 on a 187, or even another potential 9-11.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom