Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain name legal situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xecutech

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a hosting service I also register domain names for my customers I design sites for. I have had a legal run in after my name was shown in a whois search. After I registered the site 2 months ago I had transferred the name to the guy who purchased it. Now his site created some controversy from the start and now I am having attorneys threatening me.
Since anyone can register a domain name and put anything they want as whois info., is this a legal proof of ownership of a site. Especially after my name is off of it and it had been transferred over a month and a half ago?
Any help is appreciated.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had this problem before too. No matter how much you try to explain it to the attorney, he probably won't understand that you do not have control over the domain name because "your name is on it".

You should try to dig up whatever paper trail you can on how you registered it, who owns it, what account it is in, who paid you, etc. Come up with transfer request emails, paypal receipt numbers.

I would also contact the domain owner if possible and see if they will change the contact info. Usually something like "I keep getting people interested in purchasing your domain, you should change your contact info so they can find you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom