Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Name Predictions for 2011??

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I love this time of year because there are so many different predictions about SEO, Digital advertising and so on but I haven't seen any sensible domain industry predictions for 2011 yet.

So thought I woud start a thread on it

What's your prediction(s) for 2011?

1. I think we will see massive domain name growth as we exit recession this year

There you go that's my 1 prediction, what's yours?

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Prices for good domains will increase, crap will still not sell. I am very very curious about the impact of the mobile web. The shift from browser to apps scares me a little, although I think that HTML5 will help the browser to regain marketshare. In the end, browsers enable easy cross-platform access which is an advantage compared to the incompatibility of all the appstores.

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Prices for good domains will increase, crap will still not sell. I am very very curious about the impact of the mobile web. The shift from browser to apps scares me a little, although I think that HTML5 will help the browser to regain marketshare. In the end, browsers enable easy cross-platform access which is an advantage compared to the incompatibility of all the appstores.

Yes i see your point.
Mobile apps also come with major censorship as well i.e. If apple doesn't like your app they remove it just like they did with the wikileaks app recently. I guess this is where the big corporations take over the internet, right? Not if we have our say!

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I like to think that new technology like the iPhone and the iPad actually help out the cause for the internet. They actually create more traffic for the internet coming from different sources. Yes many use apps but there are many people as well that use their iphone for a replacement for the internet at home. Maybe it causes younger people to even have the availability to the internet. I bet you this technology has been increasing internet traffic and it will continue to increase it in the future with new technology.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not just Apple, it's not about the owner of the technology. It's the idea of appstore vs. browser and app vs. website. Will there be a battle? Will the appstore win or will the browser win? Or will there be no battle and will they live next to each other?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess that's because i can't see how you can think an app can win.

Maybe your question is do you think there will be a replacement for the computer? I can't see that happening.

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the apps win then I may take my portfolio to a local antique store and see whether I can shift them there! This forum will be renamed DNGhosttown ;-)

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good call on the apps. When all people have to do is touch an icon, they may never know what the URL is - and don't care. All they know is press a button and they are there.

It is for that reason, emphasis should be on site making and strong consideration towards the apps side of things - creating a site with strong content, usability, and something to offer the consumer.

If you are not making every site mobile compatible, time to get with the program.

With legislation passed and impending, consumer protection laws regarding the internet are going to get stronger. The lawmakers hear the consumer and so do the search engines. I see wide spread usage of browser blocking capability of parked pages and pages that are primarily ads. Browsers are getting smarter and so is the consumer. Take the apps-icon-touch capability, the bookmarking ability, and browser blocking ability and you have a recipe that spells disaster for parking.

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good call on the apps. When all people have to do is touch an icon, they may never know what the URL is - and don't care. All they know is press a button and they are there.

It is for that reason, emphasis should be on site making and strong consideration towards the apps side of things - creating a site with strong content, usability, and something to offer the consumer.

If you are not making every site mobile compatible, time to get with the program.

With legislation passed and impending, consumer protection laws regarding the internet are going to get stronger. The lawmakers hear the consumer and so do the search engines. I see wide spread usage of browser blocking capability of parked pages and pages that are primarily ads. Browsers are getting smarter and so is the consumer. Take the apps-icon-touch capability, the bookmarking ability, and browser blocking ability and you have a recipe that spells disaster for parking.

So in that case I take it you think it spells disaster for domain names??

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I predict that I intertwine a specific focus into my career that makes domainers very happy.

Just a little teaser. ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So in that case I take it you think it spells disaster for domain names??
Short term yes - for those that park and only park.

Long term perhaps.

IDN, apps, browsers, mobile devices - all of this is pointing to a very smart and diverse internet. And by diverse, also include the word fragmented. ICANN is totally inept but at the same time IDN is finally moving forward. One only has to look at the strong success of .de and its usage in that country as an example. The same for .nl. National pride and using one's own ccTLD is really catching on - except in the US.

What we are seeing now is too many options for the domain side of thing when at the same time there are fewer and fewer options for the consumer side of things. Desktop computers sales have long been dropping, netbooks sales have virtually disappeared, and laptops sales are flat and dropping. Everything is pointing to mobility, whether tablets, pads, or smartphones, and their wide spread usage. It is staggering the number of uses and industries who have quickly adopted touch screen apps and devices as their defacto communication tool. This trend will continue to grow and grow rapidly.

So, in the long term domain names (URL's) will have less of a place or relevance when all one has to do is touch There's an App for that. Did you know Apple has trademarked that phrase? Apps, apps, apps, and more apps.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My predictions fior 2011

1- Domain Parking will suffer even more in 2011.
2- Domainers will realize that they must abandon parking and force themselves to focus and develop businesses and not just websites.
3- High end generics will continue to sell at higher prices than expected.
4- More people will do domaining part time because they cannot survive on low parking revenue.
5- Nobody will know what a .mobi, .tel is.
6- There will be a shit load of .co's expiring without being renewed.
7- Go Daddy will buy Oversee.net.
8- Sedo will continue to lead the domain sales channel and set the standards for the rest to follow.
9- Monte Kahn will rise up and start another company that will be successful, the good ones always do.
10- The value of .ca will rise as CIRA will be launching an ad campiagn in 2011 to promote them, that one is a fact.
11- BigJumbo.com will be one of the top parking companies in 2011.
12- More companies will try to enter the domain development field in 2011, most will fail.
13- 2011 will not be the year of the IDN.
14- Smart people will turn to lead generation and affiliates in 2011.

That's all I have for now.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I find those 2 predictions surprising.

Do you have anything more to add or maybe insider knowledge about those two?

P.S. Never heard of BigJumbo until 2 days ago.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

7 is just a educated guess based on observations since I left the company.
11 because they are putting alot of work into their parked pages and their cost of staffing is really cheap, they are based in India. Also, Dan Warner is involved and he does everything well and with great knowledge on what this industry needs.

-=DCG=-

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
1)Dotcom will remain King.

2)Many more people will realize how much fraud and stupidity is involved in the launches of new of garbage extensions.

3)Good to great domain names will continue to be worth lots of money.

4) A number of high profile people in the domain industry will be revealed to be scammers.

5) At least one domain scammer will go to prison (I can dream, can't I?)

6) More and more low value names will finally hit their true value of ZERO, when they are deleted or allowed to expire.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
99.999999% of all new hand registrations will be worth a reg fee, or less. I can see good generics increasing in value, they almost always do especially when the market is improving.

I agree with the need to turn to development. Parking has always been falling and we're close to rock bottom. Is it worth keeping a domain that doesn't make its own registration fee a year?

We'll see a lot of startups popping up, people laid off who can't get back to work will try their hand at development. Some may do well but most will not. Many will also dabble in domaining and will make the same newbie mistakes that most do - most of them will give up by the end of the year.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
99.999999% of all new hand registrations will be worth a reg fee, or less.

Depending on who is doing the hand reg'ing, the categories involved, extensions, how closely they listen to what is on the media, news and TV commercials in particular, and keyword targeting involved I strongly disagree with that. The percentage non-reg-fee would be significantly lower.

I see nice unreg'd names most every day of the year which are good (sometimes excellent) keyword names in both .com and .org (the only 2 tld's I like for new reg), sometimes even with typein traffic from the start (a lot depends on the category and relevant keywords).

There is no way I can possibly reg them all (too high renewal fees, too many new sites to make, and management time).

Last edited:

bwhhisc

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My predictions fior 2011
#13- 2011 will not be the year of the IDN.

Adam, whats your thinking on this one? .com/.net will go idn.idn in the next year, 2 at most. Verisign has signaled its intentions.
Tens of millions are being spent on idn.cctld rollouts, noticibly the 600,000 idn.РФ registered in the 1st week in Russia.
I notice you continue to renew many/most of your IDN portfolio. ;)

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Having thought about this I still cannot see how apps can overtake the browser. Wouldn't you need some sort of search engine to find the app you need?

tekz999

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Extension .moon, followed by .mars will be released

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom