Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Name, Trademarks and Countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jallenrr

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am just after a little advice here. Say a company exists and has a trademark in the USA but no trademarks elsewhere. Say I am in the UK and acquire a domain similar to the trademark, transfer it to a UK registration provider and host it with a UK company. Say I then use it to advertise the same service as they provide but offered by my company.

What are the legals to do with all this? I am thinking as they don't have a trademark in the UK, there is little they can do. Even if they register one, I will of owned the domain before they registered it.

Chappy

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does the Company trade in the UK? Remember, a trademark does not have to mean they have it 'registered'...simply evidence of doing business under a tradename in many cases.

As always, the law is complicated...

jallenrr

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They don't have any company in the UK nor have they registered a trademark. They do sell services to UK based businesses, however, directly from their overseas operation.

Flexi Web Host

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A company does not need to be active in your country to have an enforceable trademark. Nor do they need to have registered the trademark in your country if the country in question is a member of the Madrid Treaty.

Countries that have signed up
WIPO information on the Madrid Treaty

If you are tempted to register a domain name that contains a trademark then you have to take a calculated guess at whether the risk is going to be beneficial to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom