Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain names are getting longer....

Status
Not open for further replies.

gogeorge

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have read that ten letter domain names are about the maximum length one should go. I am looking at a two word twenty letter domain name. The first word of the domain name is internet. e.i. internetxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

The second word is a technology or hardware term.

Are people getting more confortable with longer domain names and are resale values going up?

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
20 letters in a domain is way to long for me

open a new thread in the GOLD CAFE

u will get more responses

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Twenty letters is a bit long. Length is one thing, memorability is also an important factor to consider.

leo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yep the length can be subsitituted if the name is good enough for people to retain in the long run.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have read that ten letter domain names are about the maximum length one should go. I am looking at a two word twenty letter domain name. The first word of the domain name is internet. e.i. internetxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

The second word is a technology or hardware term.

Are people getting more confortable with longer domain names and are resale values going up?

Don't believe everything your read!

consider a domain like "badcreditpersonalloan"

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dont invest in anything but 3 letter .coms and you will get rich

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Buy land lots on bridges. Guaranteed success overnight!

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In all seriousness, it does depend on whether you're expecting your visitors to have to type the domain in when they visit your site:

If your traffic is one-off, search engine traffic then 20 characters is probably fine, particularly if the keywords work well for SEO.

If you're running a social site, where people will want to come back regularly, 20 characters is a lot to type and it will hurt your traffic in the long run (even though many will bookmark it, a lot will just type the URL every time).

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have never bought into that theory that 10 letters and less are best
In fact most of my good names are longer, in fact a 18 and 19 and 23 letter domain earnerd me 20 bucks yesterday on 10 views

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never bought into that theory that 10 letters and less are best
In fact most of my good names are longer, in fact a 18 and 19 and 23 letter domain earnerd me 20 bucks yesterday on 10 views

what is your secret :)

GoPC

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It REALLY depends on whether or not you believe that the SAME opportunity exists for you today that was able to be had in the mid nineties. If you DO... you must have Millions in cash to invest in domains.

Because friend... "Generics" are gone. Get used to it. The "blue chip" domain buys of the past ten years are history. LONG generics is all that is left.

If you buy into the hype that single or short generics are the only things that make money and the only things to spend money on... you are done before you begin.

If you can afford to get into that game today... odds are, you DON'T need the money anyway.

Type-in Traffic is dependant on these. Pure and simple. If you are to get into this biz today, you gotta think about alternatives... things like BRANDING and SEARCH TRAFFIC.

As domains are getting harder to find, so then are results for topical searches getting harder to zero in on.

My suggestion is to look into multiple word domains that have HIGH search value with LOW search result competition.

I have a domain that is NOT considered one of the conveted "generic" domains, and that most people would consider "too long" to have any value.

However... it is made up of three soild keywords that are searched together over 5000 times per day. It is in the Home Mortgage industry, which pays very well for clicks... up to $4 per click some days. The BEST thing is that despite the high number of daily searches, the results list is UNDER 20,000 hits and I am #1 on the list at Google and Yahoo.

High yeild, low competition and good revenues... yet, repeatedly people here have valued the domain at "reg fee, maybe a bit more to an end user".

This is the "money for nuthin" industry where the theology is to buy a domain for reg fee, park it for FREE having done ZERO effort and earn 5 figures a month until you sell it for high 6 figures in a few months.

Maybe if you bought 10 - 15 years ago... not today, Pal. Any old schmuch could have made money buying back then. Today, you have to be SMARTER, be more creative and yes... WORK a little harder too.

If you can do these things... you stand a chance of making a buck or two.

Best of luck,

GoPC

gogeorge

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks GOPC. I think newer names really have to be developed at this point. I think of names like hollywoodcalifornia.com, internetrealestate.com californiarealestate.com are good examples of long names that will do well.

I looked up the search values. Internet searched 367,000 times. The other word searched 2900 times and both words combined searched 30 times.
A lot will have to happen in the internet before it would take off.

Wish I had a three letter word name.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom