Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Newsletters for Selling Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

techie

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are bunch of domain newsletters where you can list your domain for sale. I am interested in knowing the following.

1. What has been your experience with these newsletters?

2. Which one is your favorite and why?

3. Have you been able to sale your domain for retail price via newsletters? or Only wholesale price?

4. Would you get more money for your domain via domain newsletters or auction sites?

5. Do these newsletter reply only on their mailing list or do they actively market your domain to end users as well?

6. Anything else you would like to share.

Argie

InteractiveWork.com
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've only used Toby Clements newsletter and must say is not worth it, obviously my opinion, I've tried to sell several thru his newsletter, never sold any domain, so for me is not worth trying, specially because he has exclusive rights to sell your domains for a month since the last time your domain was published in his newsletter, so you can't sell those domains by yourself until that month ends, and if you find a buyer by yourself, you have to tell him so he acts as a broker and you have to pay him the fee.

ekman77

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You guys can try tntnames.com newsletter. We are just gathering up some investors and should have our 1st newsletter ready to go in the next two weeks.

Once the name gets on our site as a brokered name we will add it to the newsletter and also promote it via social media.

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
quality names pretty much sell themselves, so newsletters aren't needed

though some will buy, just because of the "notoriety of the author" of that newsletter

and crap names won't sell even if shown on tv!

:)

tip: don't equate popularity with performance

AXN

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
quality names pretty much sell themselves, so newsletters aren't needed though some will buy, just because of the "notoriety of the author" of that newsletter and crap names won't sell even if shown on tv! :)
tip: don't equate popularity with performance

And if you have good names - how does potential buyer find you?
It's called marketing and exposure or am I wrong. Or should I just sit on mine for another 12 years?

Just wonder...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And if you have good names - how does potential buyer find you?
Whois check.
Or they will type the domain to see if there is a site and how it's being used. Then they get in touch with you.

It's called marketing and exposure or am I wrong. Or should I just sit on mine for another 12 years?

Just wonder...
Nothing wrong with being proactive if you know how not to spam.
But you are in a better position when they contact you, rather than you soliciting them.
In general end users don't do window shopping, nor do they stockpile domains for future use. They buy one at a time when they have a need and they know what they want or they have a shortlist of some sort, so they will find you.

Unfortunately, many domainers are trying to offload bad domains that nobody wants, that's why exposure, featured listings, spamming etc won't work and is pointless :)

AXN

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whois check.
Or they will type the domain to see if there is a site and how it's being used. Then they get in touch with you.

Nothing wrong with being proactive if you know how not to spam.
But you are in a better position when they contact you, rather than you soliciting them.
In general end users don't do window shopping, nor do they stockpile domains for future use. They buy one at a time when they have a need and they know what they want or they have a shortlist of some sort, so they will find you.

Unfortunately, many domainers are trying to offload bad domains that nobody wants, that's why exposure, featured listings, spamming etc won't work and is pointless :)

Yes, I agree Katherine, but again WHAT is a good domain? ;) Everybody has different needs, parameters or use for them. You may not like any of my 220 domains I may not like any of yours, but someone else my like them all or least some..........
Now when I check my portfolio at Fabulous I can for example I got over 670 Who is search on 8stars.com but not one offer. When I register this one I was thinking about Asian market (they love #8) :)

I know nobody said it's going to be easy, but just recently I am looking in monetizing or selling my domains and after 6 months I am more discouraged then before. So, it did appear to me that the only way is to: place it with Sedo, Flipper or scrape the net for emails for particular niche (ie: real estate or whatever) then send domain offer and see if I can get interest (bordering with spam).

I do appreciate your input.
BTW: you can check some of mine at: axnDomains

Jeroen

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree Katherine, but again WHAT is a good domain? ;) Everybody has different needs, parameters or use for them. You may not like any of my 220 domains I may not like any of yours, but someone else my like them all or least some..........

Perhaps this will help:

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/...et-points-to-being-a-successful-domainer.html

http://www.ricksblog.com/my_weblog/...ry-about-how-to-be-a-successful-domainer.html

However, you may have good domain names but when endusers are not ready no one is going to buy it from you. I'm having some domains that would be a perfect fit for some endusers. For example two word (very) generic .com that describes a company or product/service exactly and they're still not interested when I write them...and ask for low $xxx. I even tried to donate a non hyphenated domain and got no replies. Whenever this happens, move on and forget about the names (at least for a while) but memorize the price you paid for them and keep this in mind the next time you buy other names.

And you're not spamming endusers if you write a polite professional and personalized letter and make it clear this is a one time email.

AXN

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeroen, really appreciated your input.... great links!

BTW: remembering the price is the easy part :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO the problem with domain newsletter is that a high proportion of subscribers must be domain investors, so it may not be much different than posting the domains on domainer forums, you just get more exposure.
Domain names are not everyday commodities, few people will ever buy one and if they do it will be one at a time, at a certain time when they need it for their project. As I said, end users in general don't stockpile domains.

Being proactive is frustrating because few end users understand the value of domains and they are offered something for which they have no immediate need unless:
  • the timing is right, they have an ongoing project that warrants the early acquisition of a domain
  • or you give them the opportunity to upgrade their existing domain name to a better one.
(for example)

I have experience with newsletters like Toby Clement's as a buyer, not as a seller. There are good names from time to time, that are priced right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom