Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain on Auction Block Without Consent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor King

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I own a domain name registered and parked with GoDaddy since 2005.

Just by chance I found it up for auction with an asking price on a Reseller site called "Impressive Domains".

When I called Impressive domains support line, a GoDaddy support agent answered. I was told GoDaddy provides support for Impressive domains.

I entered the keyword in search on the browser and there is a post about the domain being for sale on Impressive Domains.

How could this possibly happen? I was under the impression a data base is checked for the domain and seller name before the name is allowed up for sale.

I did send an email to Abuse at Godaddy but haven't heard back yet.

When ya think it's all been done, than this.

You guys have any idea what might have happened?

Really would appreciate some responses. I think this is a BIG NO-NO but what do I know.

Thanks,
Thor

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Did the name expire?

If so someone else may have scooped it up at tdnam....

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's probably the previous owner. Same thing with Sedo, names are still listed while some of them are even deleted.

Thor King

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy Customer service and abuse departments have both refused to look ino this . THey tell me to check with Impressive Domains. When I call their number I get Godaddy's support department. This is more than slightly odd.

No previous owner. The domain is locked in godaddy's account. I cannot figure out how a reseller company, Impressive domains, could get hold of the domain and put it up for sale.

Is this legal?

Thanks,

Thor

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It sounds as though Impressive Domains is a Wild West reseller which is godaddy's reseller.

I suppose anyone can submit any names for auction. I am not sure if godaddy's TDNAM, sedo or afternic even check the ownership.

Maybe you can go into the auction listing and bid on the name. You just might be the one who gets the email notifying you of the bid.

Make sure your email is correct that it is indeed in your account.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if it is locked in your account but I am not a lawyer or registrar so seek legal advice or godaddy help if there is still a problem.

Thor King

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, that's a good idea.

Thor King

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the helpful replies.

I did bid on my name and Impressive Domains contacted me with a Nasty
e-mail requesting me not to bid on my own name.

I explained I did not list the domain name for sale on their site. I realize now that the name did expire but I renewed it before I lost it.

Somehow between the time the name expired and I renewed it, the name was picked up by Impressive Domains and put on the auction block.

They denied any involvement. After I renewed, it was registered under my name with Godaddy.

Bottom line, someone entered the name on Impressive Domains Auction and it wasn't me. So who was it? Hmmm.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can put a call into the President of Godaddy and get you results.

PM me the info.

-=DCG=-

smashfactory

Queen of Domainland
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
are you still showing as the owner now, or are they?

Thor King

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Domain name is in my name now with Godaddy. Impressive Domains deleted the account that had been established and would not tell me the name of the person who established it. It's gone now and I have my domain in my name so I'm done.

I stand with the belief that the nanosecond a name is expired with Godaddy the name is dropped to Godaddy's resellers. I don't know the ICANN policy regarding Resistrars and Resellers but it doesn't seem legit for a name that is in a holding doc for renewal to be up for auction with a reseller.

I now realize I was lucky I noticed the auction so quickly or it could have been wisked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom