Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Privacy Protection: I don't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fischermx

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I often receive notes from my registrars supposedly intended to remind me to log in my account and verify that all the information for my domains is up to date and correct. Supposedly having incorrect information for your domains is against ICANN rules.

Then, how this domain privacy protection is supposed to work?
When you have listed your domains for "Domain Privacy, blah, blah" and at an address that it's not yours, then you're blatantly failing to obey this rule.

Then why it is allowed?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, how many people use any privacy services of sorts?

The point of those notices are to remind people to ensure their domain names'
contact details are updated and complete, especially if they might get called
upon for whatever reason. Domains about to expire, notice for a maintenance
that's upcoming, or even an invalid "WHOIS" report. (or rather the actual info
within the domain account rather than WHOIS...)

Just ignore them if you're 100% your domain names' contact info is correct.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Privacy is to keep you out of the public record. Think of it like paying for an unlisted phone number.

The WhoIS information has to be correct in some way to contact you (the owner).

The Privacy is only good for so much depending on who you use. If the Courts get involved the registrar will comply with giving out your information based on their individual polices.

EnricoSchaefer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Exactly. The privacy service still requires accurate information for you as the registrant, even though they keep that information private for many purposes. The key point here is that the Privacy service can on its own volition, or at the request of a third party trademark owner or other person complaining about activities on your privacy protected domain, turn of fhte privacy protect and expose the registrants true information to the public. Further, if soemone starts a UDRP proceeding agasint you, your privacy is essentially lost. First, your whois information will be turned over to the arbitration panel and Complainant, and eventually to the word as part of a written panel decision on the issue of transfer.

Whois Privacy is a much discussed isue. Here is some futher information ...

Changing WHOIS Privacy Protection In Domain Name Dispute Can Be Considered Registration In Bad Faith

WhoIs Privacy Debate: The Invisible Cybersquatter (interview with John R. Levine)

If WHOIS Privacy is a Good Idea, Why is it Going Nowhere?

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always ignore these messages from registrars because I'm sure 100% my whois details are correct.

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ditto. I would never falsify my registration info. I have privacy set on a few domains where I just don't want any joe off the street contacting me, but know full well that if someone really wants to find me using the legal means at their disposal they certainly can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom