Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Registration - Unable to Register

Status
Not open for further replies.

digitalmarkets

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone

Found a domain

Checked availability - Few Registrars to ensure availability

Applied for registration

And 1-2 days later been informed that the they were "Unable to Register" the domain?

Then, searched, who is, and found that the new registrant registered it long after( half day or more) you applied for registration?

I've had this happen a few times with the same company and with only some real good names. Thus, I'm starting to wonder, if some of these companies are manually reviewing registration applications and then calling a friend or colleague and telling them to register the domain.

I'd like to get your thoughts and feedback!

Also, if anyone has experienced this, is there any way to have the situation investigated, by ICANN or Who???

Thanks

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never happened to me. But I use only a couple of means to check availability. What registrar company are you using?

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Has anyone

Found a domain

Applied for registration

And 1-2 days later been informed that the they were "Unable to Register" the domain?

Then, searched, who is, and found that the new registrant registered it long after( half day or more) you applied for registration?

I've had this happen a few times with the same company and with only some real good names. Thus, I'm starting to wonder, if some of these companies are manually reviewing registration applications and then calling a friend or colleague and telling them to register the domain.

I'd like to get your thoughts and feedback!

Also, if anyone has experienced this, is there any way to have the situation investigated, by ICANN or Who???

Thanks

1. Yes it is possible, and in fact it happened with one of the users on here who ran such a "Registrar" but got caught out.

2. Please tell us the name of the Registrar.

3. Forget complaining to ICANN as waste of time.

DG

Fatbat

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, please tell us the name of the registrar in question.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you using a real registrar to begin with?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Anyone care to ponder that line for a while?

There is one, and only one, .com registry. If a name is not registered, then it's not registered.

Performing various kinds of searches does not "ensure availability". What it does ensure is that your ISP, whoever wrote the spyware on your computer, whoever is responsible for the plug-ins to your browser, and any search system you use, all become increasingly likely to detect your interest in an unregistered domain name.

digitalmarkets

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the Comments!

As far as registrar, I use a few but this one is a hosting hosting company that has a registrar as a partner. No need to mention the name as I'm not sure anything happened other than they took a really long time to register and or apply for the domain and someone else happened to go after the name with a Registrar that applied for it sooner. Although, it still is weird because the domain in question appears to have been unregistrered for a few weeks since it expired. So, myself, and
someone else just happened to go after it in the same day. Perhaps?

Does anyone know of how I can verify the domain drop date/idle time/registration for free. I know Domaintools offers this information for a price.

Anyway, I'd still like more comments from anyone who might have had this happen.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Checked availability - Few Registrars to ensure availability"
Quote jberryhill: Anyone care to ponder that line for a while?

Upon pondering briefly, I assume the poster is trying to say:
He 'checked' the 'availability' of a domain name, and in fact, checked a 'few registrars to ensure' the domain name's 'availability' was that beyond the suspect registrar he had previously had difficulties with. That is to say, burnt once twice shy.

"I've had this happen a few times with the same company" ~ digitalmarkets
"If tricked once, shame on them - tricked twice, shame on you." ~ anon.

My thoughts & feedback:
Find a Trusted Registrar.
For example, I've had no problems with eNom nor iDotz.net nor even in using easywhois.com and would recommend all of them; but conversely have had problems of this nature with Moniker and will curse them til the day I die over a domain I searched for in spring/summer re: xmas, and found it registered to a Moniker employee and/or owner days later (that is to say, the odds of me using moniker search one hot week to find a sweet xmas domain only to have one of them buy it a few days later is all to 'coincidental' in my books.). I forget all the exact details as I just let go of the issue and moved on, chalking it up as a live and learn experience, and to not use moniker again (albeit this was years ago).

Best Success in All Your Endeavours!

PS: DigitalMarkets - Please feel free to correct if I am wrong re: my assumption towards your statement above.
...also, it would be appreciated if you would let us know the name of the Registrar you are speaking of, as people may be able to help you with knowledge on them, as much as allow us to avoid possible scenarios such as yours - Thanks!

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the Comments!

As far as registrar, I use a few but this one is a hosting hosting company that has a registrar as a partner. No need to mention the name as I'm not sure anything happened other than they took a really long time to register and or apply for the domain and someone else happened to go after the name with a Registrar that applied for it sooner. Although, it still is weird because the domain in question appears to have been unregistrered for a few weeks since it expired. So, myself, and
someone else just happened to go after it in the same day. Perhaps?

Does anyone know of how I can verify the domain drop date/idle time/registration for free. I know Domaintools offers this information for a price.

Anyway, I'd still like more comments from anyone who might have had this happen.

The Registrar should be doing things manually. It is not something you sumit an order, Joe Blow in the back office processes the registration by filling out a form and mailing it in to register your name.

I'd say pick another registrar to register your names at as yours is crap. It would be nice to know which one it was so other domainers can not allow the same thing to happen to them.

tinner666

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've read of it here. Hasn't happened to me.
Tip; When I think of a name, I put it in notepad. I might go months adding names. The day I want to reg something, I do a bulk reg search and purchase or delete what I want THEN. Not later, as a rule.
I can check them at GD and they will still be around days later. It's why I decided to use them to get my reseller account.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
but this one is a hosting hosting company that has a registrar as a partner.

I figured as much. Resellers don't necessarily have as much umph as registrars
do, although some registrars started out as resellers anyway.

Simple solution is to try to register it with an actual registrar. Lots of choices
out there.

Although, it still is weird because the domain in question appears to have been unregistrered for a few weeks since it expired.

That part is potentially gonna give me a headache more than pondering what
John asked. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom