Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain Registry of America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I am getting sick to the back teeth with these guys...

I am constantly receiving renewal letters from them regarding domains I own...

Although I know that they are a bunch of cowboys and have always used this tactic... my customers don't know this.. They receive the standard DROA letter with their extortionate prices and assume this must be paid to keep their domain... I'm losing some customers through this... Not many, but some...

They even send me letters for renewal of talkhost domains... :becky:

Their letters come with a reply envelope and I have been seriously tempted to use each one to send household and or bodily refuse but the return envelopes are not postage paid... (although I think the few pennies it would cost to send would be worth it LOL )

Domain Days 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First step would be to report them to the FTC :goofy:

Their letters come with a reply envelope and I have been seriously tempted to use each one to send household and or bodily refuse but the return envelopes are not postage paid... (although I think the few pennies it would cost to send would be worth it LOL )
You can still return the mail to them with no postage, maybe the postman will attempt to collect from them upon delivery :greenlaugh:

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
First step would be to report them to the FTC :goofy:

You can still return the mail to them with no postage, maybe the postman will attempt to collect from them upon delivery :greenlaugh:

No point reporting them... they are not breaking any rules... they are just operating in a highly unethical and unprofessional manner... No person with a knowledge of the domain industry would even consider doing business with them... But they prey on the customers of us in the domain industry who do not know any better.. e.g. the layman with 1 or 2 domains receives the letter from DROA and assumes it is a bill from me, their registrar.... The letter from www.DROA.com appears to be an invoice for renewal, but in actual fact is a non-solicited spam letter, details being taken from whois for domains....

:) In the UK the post will usually be sent and the receiver will be billed if postage is not paid.... I think I will take advantage of their addressed envelope next time, stuffed with the contents of my dogs dinner (after digestion) LOL

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True, they are not breaking the law technically but their letters are crafted in such a deliberate way to trap the unwary. It still abusive practice and I'm pretty sure they fall within the scope of FTC (what you call Office of Fair Trading in the UK I believe).

While checking their website I believe they are not a fully-fledged registrar but most likely a reseller for Enom. We could pressure Enom so they stop supporting those practices although I doubt Enom would do anything decreasing income ;-)

PS from their website:
Register your domain name now for only $50.00!
LOL

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was not aware they were a reseller of Enom.... that could make matters a lot easier to put pressure on them...

I dunno if they send letters worldwide, as far as I know they send them within the UK... Kinda silly when they call themselves domain registry of america LOL :)

I'm also an Enom ETP so if we all get together to complain maybe something can be done..... But if their practices are restricted to the UK then we are probs farting against thunder :)

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I used to get a lot of these from DROA, when I had domains at Dotster and Godaddy, the bulk of my domains are at Enom, and I get very few of these letters for domains registered there.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I received hundreds of these at my UK address, I "returned them to sender".

The postman ended up getting a bit annoyed, but in the end I believe the renewal reminders stopped arriving.

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Almost all my domains are with Enom, but I still receive these letters from DROA.. Either Enom are not aware of what DROA is doing (which is highly unlikely, cos everyone in the domain industry has heard of their shoddy moves) or they don't care....

I guess the best thing we all can do is "return to sender"
At least this will hit DROA in the pocket.

Daniel Domainer

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While checking their website I believe they are not a fully-fledged registrar but most likely a reseller for Enom.
I can see how you might think that. I do see they have a line of hidden code that reads:

<!--<li><a href="http://access.enom.com" target="_blank"><font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica" color="#ffffff" size=-2>Manage a Domain</font></a></li>-->

But it's bracketed with an exclamation point which nullifies the code.

My sources say DROA was "kicked out years ago" and have been banned permanently as an eNom reseller.

Don't know who's cred they're using but without a doubt DROA is slimy for this practice. Of course WE know better, but for those who manage domains for others who list our clients' contact info, it creates a big headache.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually I was reading this:
This Registration Agreement ("Agreement") sets forth the terms and conditions of your use of domain name registration and related services ("Services"). In this Agreement "you" and "your" refer to you and the registrant listed in the WHOIS contact information for the domain name. "We", "us" and "our" refer to eNom, Inc., Wild West Domains, Inc., BRANDON GRAY INTERNET SERVICES INC. (dba "NameJuice.com"), and DROA
=> https://www.droa.com/regpol.asp

and

Is the Domain Registry of America a government body?

No, the Domain Registry of America is a private company that acts as a Registration Service Provider. Domain Registry of America in conjunction with eNom, an ICANN accredited registrar, registers or transfer and renews domains.
=> http://www.droa.com/help.asp

but they could be lying. I think they are :greenbigrazz:

Talkhost

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Just got more this morning..

I contacted enom and waiting for a reply

Hi there,

Can you please do something about Domain Registry of America??

www.droa.com

I am constantly receiving unsolicited physical mail through the post from them..

The letters all regard domains I have registered with you , all headed with "Domain Name Expiration Notice" in bold.
They claim on their website they offer their services in conjunction with Enom, so I am assuming they are Enom resellers...

As an ETP myself with Enom I feel I should not be subjected to such junk letters, either to myself or to my customers. They are blatantly trying to steal customers.

I receive these letters from them on a constant basis and I want it to stop. I also don't want them being sent to my customers.

Surely it is not good business practise for Enom to allow this kind of activity to continue, especially when they are targetting your own ETP's and our customers. I know of many other ETP's who are sick of this happening too.

I hope you can resolve this issue.

Regards,

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom