Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

controversial Domain removed from my account without notice.

This is a discussion that many may find controversial. Users are to be cautioned that they may find the contents of it distressing.

bayofdomain

Level 1
Reaction score
I registered 2 letter and 4 letter (generic) .io domain on Nov 17 -2021. i checked on several platform it was available for registration. i checked who.is etc. where they clearly mentioned my contact details. Today (Nov 22 - 2021) when i asked about domain status to one of support team. after checking he said .io reserved 2 letter domains and not allowed for registration. than i asked about 4 letter domain. i receive no notification no email before removing it from my account. i request someone who is aware of such incident, please guide me in this regard. i should let it go or whom to ask to get that domains back into my account.? also i was having good offers for that domains.

aleksey.k

Snake Charmer (Python3, DevOps)
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
@bayofdomain , hi. Sorry for your loss of ownreship. Could you share the registrar's name? Also, maybe @bhartzer might be able to assist with a loss of a domain name

bayofdomain

Level 1
Reaction score
@aleksey @bhartzer
I received the following reply from registrar..

Hello,

Thank you for your patience.

We have received the updates from the Registry (the highest authority that manages this TLD) that these (2LETTER).io and (4LETTER).io reserved domains have been released for the registration mistakenly and you managed to submit the successful Order for them. Still, since these domains are marked as reserved ones, they were deleted by the Registry, regretfully . Now they are shown again as reserved in the Whois. Unfortunately, it is not possible to register these domains at this moment as they are reserved by the Registry in accordance with ICANN Policy .

The refund for these domains in Order 84284739 has been processed back to your PayPal account and the money should reach your PayPal account soon.

We apologize for any inconveniences caused and highly appreciate your understanding.

Our support team works 24/7. Feel free to contact us at any time, if you have any questions or require any assistance.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This sounds like there was some sort of technical issue that allowed you to register those domain names. It could have been a Registrar issue where they didn't have something set up properly, and it allowed you to register them. Or it could have been something else.

I've seen this happen before with other names. Sometimes names get sold that are, in fact, reserved by the registry.

What I would do is to go directly to the domain registry and verify whether or not those names are reserved, and if they were reserved prior to you registering them.

bayofdomain

Level 1
Reaction score
@bhartzer before registration i checked on several Registrars, it was available for registration. even i shortlisted some other names to purchase but today all that name has been reserved. Which i short listed for purchase. but the thing is they did not sent me any email for deletion of 2 domain from registry nor from registrar. even the name was not related to any trade mark..it was just a generic domain. any hope?

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is one of the most frustrating things. When a registrar does not have good integration with the registry or vice versa. I have seen this a number of times with ngTLDs, where a domain was shown as available but then the registry would not honor the registration because the domain ended up being reserved. This is usually because of a false positive on the registry end. And many registries outside of the legacy ones want to reserve domains to get top price way above registration cost.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This is one of the most frustrating things. When a registrar does not have good integration with the registry or vice versa. I have seen this a number of times with ngTLDs, where a domain was shown as available but then the registry would not honor the registration because the domain ended up being reserved. This is usually because of a false positive on the registry end. And many registries outside of the legacy ones want to reserve domains to get top price way above registration cost.
Totally agreed.
This unfortunately happens, @bayofdomain
I've also seen (reserved) supposedly "available" domains with some registrars. Some stop you when you want to place an order. And some even let you think you successfully registered them. It happened for example recently to someone believing he registered "meta dot website" for $2. It seemed too good to be true. It was!
Now, if your details were appearing on a whois outside of your own registrar, it seems they weren't really "reserved" at the moment you registered them. And the registration kind of indeed went through. This is a borderline situation, where the registry say they are reserved, but left them in an available state at that time!? (or changed things afterwards when there was a registration they didn't like?). Maybe it's a mistake, maybe a technical problem, hard to know for sure. Unfortunately, I really don't think there is anything you can do about it. And .io is a ccTLD (it's a country). I guess even complaining to ICANN would be of absolutely no use (as if it would achieve anything in any case in such a situation...)

EDIT:
have been released for the registration mistakenly
Ok, they do admit it. Thankfully for them, they can get away with their mistake....

bayofdomain

Level 1
Reaction score
I enjoyed that domain for 5 days...recieved so many offers. Ny.io and info.io was the domain. Now they added their price..i dealt with ny.io with broker and he initiated payment on behalf of buyer on escrow..later on cancelled.
The broker with whom i was in contact claim that he is associated with .io extension in past and said it is not possible to get 2 letter hand reg.. But he deal with that when i proved him i own this domain..i got offers on daily basis for info.io from day 1 while i listed it on marketplace. Learned much from this incident..

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed. But, I don't think they could have with the LL.io as that would've included red tape with ICANN if I'm not mistaken.

If it were a premium name that was supposed to be priced higher but was able to be registered for regular pricing, that should be the registry's loss as it's very minor in the grand scheme of things. The "marketing campaign" could pay for the mistake due to word of mouth / social awareness.

nicole2020

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I enjoyed that domain for 5 days...recieved so many offers. Ny.io and info.io was the domain. Now they added their price..i dealt with ny.io with broker and he initiated payment on behalf of buyer on escrow..later on cancelled.
The broker with whom i was in contact claim that he is associated with .io extension in past and said it is not possible to get 2 letter hand reg.. But he deal with that when i proved him i own this domain..i got offers on daily basis for info.io from day 1 while i listed it on marketplace. Learned much from this incident..
Recently some investors registered 1L, 2L, and 3L .pro domain. After few days Donuts deleted all of them. Donuts said they mistook to open reserved domain to registration. All registered domains were deleted and refunded.

Your case seems to be similar with these domains. They mistook to open reserved domains to be avaliable.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
The real truth of it is that, the ***s of registry are greedy monkeys, the problem is that the domains were not reserved they decided to take them from you just like that and reserve for themselves so they can sell them later at huge ammounts.This is not a error but easy grab.
I was able to see in the beginning of my domain journey (domains.cloud) was available to hand reg cheap at porkbun, I missed the opportunity because my main niche was more important, later it showed as reserved domain name.

bayofdomain

Level 1
Reaction score
@Neoget @bhartzer @amplify @DomainsGENERAL.com @Tom K @aleksey.k

I received the following email from ICB Technical Support.

Dear Mohammed,

Thank you for contacting ICB Technical Support.

You will need to contact your sponsoring registrar for information on the domains you referenced.

Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us and include the string: ref:_00xxxxx ref in the body of all future correspondence with regards to this ticket. To do so, you may simply reply to this message.

Sincerely,

ICB Support
[email protected]

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think they could have with the LL.io as that would've included red tape with ICANN if I'm not mistaken.
If I'm not mistaken, that's entirely the registry decision, especially for a ccTLD. There are plenty of ccTLDs out there having 2 or even 1 character domains in the wild. Even on top ICANN sanctioned gTLD (.com/.net/.org), the minimum length is 2 characters. It was 1 in the past and the old ones are still in existence: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-letter_second-level_domain

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
This is not anything new, happens all the time and has been addressed numerous times before. I have had choice ccTLD's taken away in the exact same manner and the registrars have no control over that. The registry ultimately makes the end decision and for me it did not matter which registrar I used, my domains have been cancelled and refunded by three different registrars.

To rub salt into the wound one of my registrars still shows the domains in my control panel, they are kind of half attached and it frustrates me every time I log in.

So close... so close... yet so far

PS. One of the domains I had taken away was joy.ca, you can read about that here.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom