Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain Sale ---- Huge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
only if your domains are anywhere near as good as rent.com...

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not a domain sale, it's a sale of a business throwing off $40 million in revenue a year, which just happens to have a really nice domain associated with it. MASSIVE difference!

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just don't see why they paid $415m for it when it only makes $40m annually. I'm sure ebay has good reasons for purchasing it, but paying that many years worth of revenue sounds ridiculous.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NameYourself said:
I just don't see why they paid $415m for it when it only makes $40m annually. I'm sure ebay has good reasons for purchasing it, but paying that many years worth of revenue sounds ridiculous.

I covered that here.
http://www.dnforum.com/showpost.php?p=477108&postcount=19

Basically, having to ask the question in the first place shows a lack of real-world business experience.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
very true points Edwin...

people do need to understand simple formulas can't be used all the time to determine "fair" prices and values

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin,

Yes it is true that there is no one formula to determine a good general sell price for all businesses accross all markets, which all have different assets and different shares of their markets, etc.. The list of factors influencing a company's value could go on and on.

For a company that is purely internet-based though it is a lot. The following quote from an S&P analyst commenting on the rent.com sale supports this point.

The privately held company said it expects revenue this year of more than $40 million. Standard & Poor's equity analyst Scott Kessler said that, at a cost of 10 times revenue, the deal appeared too expensive to him.
``I don't really see how there are synergies between eBay and Rent.com,'' Kessler said. ``I don't see much value added with this transaction. It seems like a nice little company. And it seems like eBay paid a lot for it. We'll see.''

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/10447562.htm?1c

M

mole

Maybe that says something about DEVELOPING a single domain name into a BUSINESS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom