Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain sales at DNF

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One thing to make clear, most domains sales happpen outside the auction.

I have spent over 150k on domain names from people here in the last 10 days and can honestly tell you that the big names don't get negotiated in the auctions.

Most good domains get negotiated through PM, and I find out of their availablility through strings.

Your comments are welcome!

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great - but there are still a lot of "little names" and these are not being sold.
Because the auction appears to have stagnated and has become a place for picking up names for nothing ($1 - $10) by just a few people, no one is risking good names at low reserves or even bothering to put up names with a reserve at the right price.

As I mentioned in another thread -RJ- put up a number of 2-character .orgs a few weeks ago - reserves $225-250 - no takers. Why would people want to bother if that's the result? Too few attending the auction (I'm guilty but at 2am I'm out of it!) means that there is too little competition for names and as a result no one is prepared or bothered to make it better.

Just my opinion!

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would an ebay style auction be more convenient, with proxy bidding like NW.

For me it would be as 8 pm on a sunday is not convenient for me but if I followed it all week, I would buy more names.

-=DCG=-

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that it would be well worth a try doing it this way - it would give an opportunity for members from all over to participate as well as not limiting it to a fixed time.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainState tried this, but their version has almost died already (also from poor names and a lack of bidders). There are almost no listings in it now.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, DCG! :D
Many of us were waiting to hear from you last week regarding the changes for yesterday's scheduled Live auction.
I guess the new committee will be addressing all of the issues ... and I respect them, and their willingness to volunteer their time and additional resources on the issue.
A few times you had mentioned bringing "Retail buyers" to the site/Live auctions. How is that proceeding? Where are the "guests" currently coming from?
It seems weird to me that paid memberships are increasing, yet the Live auction(s) overall activity seems to be at an all-time low.
Can you provide some attendance figures for the rest of us?
Again, I thank you for posting, and I thank the committee.
Please stay in touch with the rest of us more regularly ... afterall, we are a paid membership.
Appreciate it.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that the real issue is that most good domains with huge traffic are already owned and you won't get those ones here.

The only way to get those is to get in touch with the owner and negotiate to buy it that way.

That has been my way of getting what I need, and probably is for most domainers.

-=DCG=-

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
IMHO, that completely ignores the low/mid-levels of domain names. I mean, there was a purpose for DNForum and the DNF Live auctions in the first place, right? :rolleyes:
Thank you for addressing the issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom