Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Sales - Ratio of Investments / Trades / Genuine Businesses / Startups

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernMonkey

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'd like to pose a question if I may which I suspect some of the more learned domain enthusiasts here can probably guide me with - some aspects of this question may seem naive, but I think there is a genuine debate here to gain some value from!

Like many others, I have a mixture of reasons for acquiring the domains in my small portfolio (sub 100 names). Some are egotistical (my name), some I've bought as investments rather than rely on having single currency assets sat in the bank or shares and some I've bought as I genuinely have a good business idea and I intend to develop them or in fact have already done so.

I follow the various domain sales feeds with a keen eye and often find myself saying, "interesting name, what will they do with it?" or "I wonder when that will be released." However time and time again I never see anything come of so many of these domains - particularly one's that sell for several thousand dollars.

I guess when I stop waffling, I post these thoughts as I'm really intrigued if there has been any studies or assessments or anyone has any data giving an indication of how many domains actually get developed into businesses post sale? I guess it is like saying how much of the market is speculative/investment only and how much is tangible/realised.

I think it's all well and good lots of domains selling repeatedly/sat parked/flipping etc - but it's people building tangible businesses and leveraging the value of the name, which really instills value into all of the other undeveloped names in the market.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom