Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain sold and register.com will charge US$200 for change of registrant!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else come across this?

I sold a domain and gave the normal authorisation for transfer to the purchaser at register.com (previously at enom.com).

Register.com now say they require a faxed form from me with signed photo ID to change the registrant (for some reason this wasn't changed when the registrar was changed).

On the form, they say they will charge the new registrant US$200 for the change of registrant.

We plan to transfer the domain back to enom.com and then transfer ownership with a push, providing register.com don't stick any spanners in the works.

Any comments welcome. Thanks.

JEsports

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have noticed ... and also have a few sites there myself from when i first started in the domain business. I dont mind having my main site there because I would never sell it unless some rich wealthy person was ready to make me somewhat wealthy as well. However, the other names I have there that I could sell somewhat cheap make them "keepers" as well.

Do they charge to transfer from register.com to another register.com account? Curious

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dotNetKing said:

I sold a domain and gave the normal authorisation for transfer to the purchaser at register.com (previously at enom.com).

Register.com now say they require a faxed form from me with signed photo ID to change the registrant (for some reason this wasn't changed when the registrar was changed).

On the form, they say they will charge the new registrant US$200 for the change of registrant.

We plan to transfer the domain back to enom.com and then transfer ownership with a push, providing register.com don't stick any spanners in the works. Any comments welcome. Thanks.

That sucks big time, still another reason to not use register.com

It would seem the TOS you agreed to must have said that at time of registration to be a valid extra fee, but not sure?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
trader said:
That sucks big time, still another reason to not use register.com

It would seem the TOS you agreed to must have said that at time of registration to be a valid extra fee, but not sure?

It is possible that I would have agreed to some TOS requiring additional payments for change of registrant as well as change of registrar. But this would have been very sneaky, as it is so far from being standard practice.

Perhaps the purchaser somehow initiated a change of ownership, rather than a change of registrar - register.com then facilitated a change or registrar, but leaving the pending change of registrant to be treated separately, with the prospect of the US$200 change or registrant fee.

In any case, this makes me rather averse to transferring a domain to register.com if this is the registrar that a purchaser selects.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dotNetKing said:

Register.com now say they require a faxed form from me with signed photo ID to change the registrant (for some reason this wasn't changed when the registrar was changed). On the form, they say they will charge the new registrant US$200 for the change of registrant. We plan to transfer the domain back to enom.com and then transfer ownership with a push, providing register.com don't stick any spanners in the works.
This "change of registrant fee" of $200 has been the case with Register.com for a long time. You sound like you're screwed. Register.com has "hidden" registrant data in its system, that doesn't change unless this arcance procedure is used. That "registrant" info stays with the ACCOUNT you have, and attaches to any name your register WITH that account.

If you JUST transferred the name, and it is NOW at Register.com, you will have to wait 60 days until you can transfer it again, right? You would have done better to have changed ALL registrant information on the domain name prior to the transfer. Even Network Solutions would have been better than Register.com with regards to this process.

~ Nexus

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Always perform a search on registrar's quirks prior to any domain transactions. Register.com has this $200 fee that can be circumvented by simply requesting a transfer out to - say - Enom, and then doing whatever you want with the domain.

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nexus said:
This "change of registrant fee" of $200 has been the case with Register.com for a long time. You sound like you're screwed. Register.com has "hidden" registrant data in its system, that doesn't change unless this arcance procedure is used. That "registrant" info stays with the ACCOUNT you have, and attaches to any name your register WITH that account.

Very annoying!

Nexus said:
If you JUST transferred the name, and it is NOW at Register.com, you will have to wait 60 days until you can transfer it again, right?

Possibly not. It looks like the transfer back to the original enom account is going through ok, at least at the moment. I have had my notification from register.com that the transfer will go through in 3 days if I don't write to them to cancel it.

Nexus said:
You would have done better to have changed ALL registrant information on the domain name prior to the transfer.

I'll remember this for next time. I have another transfer going through to namebargain.com which looks like it is part of register.com. I hope the same doesn't happen.

RADiSTAR said:
Always perform a search on registrar's quirks prior to any domain transactions. Register.com has this $200 fee that can be circumvented by simply requesting a transfer out to - say - Enom, and then doing whatever you want with the domain.

Yes, I'm transferring back to enom right now, and it looks like the transfer back will go through ok.

HellFear

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, Register.com is one of the worst places to go for domains.

According to DomainSite.com, Register.com scams you.
Ownership transfer - $200
*** This is not a typo. We called the support number listed on their page to make sure. We were also told that they charge this amount because they incur costs from the registry. This is false. There is no cost to change ownership information for any gTLD at the registry.

Just remember to research the domain registrar next time. ;)

owen

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On an interesting side note, I called Register.com customer support a few months ago to verify that they charge $200.00 for an ownership transfer. When I asked why they charged $200.00 for the ownership transfer the support rep told me that they had to charge the fee because there were fees at the registry for an ownership transfer. This is a lie. There is no ownership transfer fee at the registry. Especially the COM/NET registry which is a thin registry to begin with and contains no ownership information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom