Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain Sold - Never Transfered

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim

I sold a domain name last year and spoke with them several times about transfering the domain to them. I contact them at least once per month and no reply.

They have built a small business on this domain and I know they have no desire to close up or get another domain name. However, we are now down to 60 days before the name comes up for renewal.

I am not interested in paying for the domains renewal. The sale was for a low $xxx amount and there was no formal contract of the sale. I posted it for sale on a forum and they bought it via PayPal.

So am I under any obligation to keep the name registered for them? Can I let it expire? I would not resell it even though I am sure I could get high $xxx for it now as I would expect that to be trouble.

Thoughts, comments...

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Renew it for them.
I have been in that situation many many times and the best thing to do as the seller, and professional, is to make sure the name gets sold.
Imagine the first time you bought a car.
What if you just stuffed the salesman's pockets full of cash, grabbed the keys, and sped off with the car. If the salesman never went into the office and transfered the registration to you, just walked off with all that cash, then later you found out that there was more effort involved with the wrapping up of the sale, that you should'nt have driven around the globe and beyond (for over a year). Then a year later, you come home and that car you won awards across the universe with, (and made a business out of it) was taken by some fat banker in NYC.
How would you feel?

Just renew it and tell them the facts of life later. They'll thank you, plus you'll stay out of complaints.com.

Like I said three seconds ago, I've been in the same situation. (actually still in a few)
Just cough up the seven bucks and renew it. (who knows - if they're that dumb, maybe you can change your policy and charge them [read:bill them] $xxx to renew it each year till they come out of the water and move it elsewhere.)

AHDOnline

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok I misread the post. I agree with the post below

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is an easy solution to this problem...

1) do NOT renew it for them
2) set up a new account for them at the registrar and push this domain into that account. if you do not have free push capabilities, then you may have to pay the renewal fee to get it into a new account anyway
3) e-mail them one final time with the account information, tell them it is theirs to manage, and you suggest they renew the domain as it is getting close to expiration (if that is still the case)
4) wash your hands of them and move on

LewR

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Legally, I can't see how you are responsible to chase after them, but as most businesses or business people know - good will is worth more than the cost of an event. I have renewed names for people who bought and never followed up on the transfer - and they are still happy customers of mine today.

Try snail mail - and let them know the consequences of their neglect - then you can walk away with a clear conscience.

JMHO

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DigitalCameraMan said:
I sold a domain name last year and spoke with them several times about transfering the domain to them. I contact them at least once per month and no reply.snip
Thoughts, comments...

Is the regsitrar GoDaddy or one of its resellers?
That would explain why they haven't picked it up the name
The pull has so much upsell that the actual owner transfer is tricky to complete

The solution, as someone else has pointed out, is to set up a new account ,with your email addy.
Pull the name
Change the email addy to theirs
Give em the login and p/w
Then they will get the reminders for renewal

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What I have done in situations like this is as suggested above. Make them the admin contact, give them complete instructions for a registrar transfer, send it certified mail, keep a copy, and rest easy knowing you've done all you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom