Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain stolen from my account...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LovellTechnology

Niche Marketing Expert
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, I've been domaining for years, I'm talking since the mid 90's so I'm not a newbie.

I got an alert from domaintools.com today about one of my domains and sure enough, it's been transferred to another person.

My question is, is there anything I can do about it?

1. I changed my password at the registrar and change it once a month.
2. It was locked
3. The email that the auth key would have went to gets a passwd change once a month as well.
4. It wasn't expired

How on earth did this happen?

I've never experienced something like this and it blows my mind how it could happen

D

Deleted member 5660

who is the registrar, they are all different

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainTools has been sending out emails lately not sure if they are the same ones but im gettin a few of them. Did the email you are talking about list the past and current owner? Im wondering what these emails are that DomainTools are sending out and why all of a sudden Im getting these emails. If someone from DomainTools is on here please advise.

thanks

*as far the domain you lost, the more information you can provide the more others can try to help you...goodluck

LovellTechnology

Niche Marketing Expert
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you use free email: yahoo, hotmail, etc...?

No, this is setup on my private email address. I use emails specifically for domains and it's legal@.... domains@ .. and private@

DomainTools has been sending out emails lately not sure if they are the same ones but im gettin a few of them. Did the email you are talking about list the past and current owner?

that's exactly how I found out it was taken. the email showed the domain and former registrant / current registrant

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainTools has been sending out emails lately not sure if they are the same ones but im gettin a few of them. Did the email you are talking about list the past and current owner? Im wondering what these emails are that DomainTools are sending out and why all of a sudden Im getting these emails. If someone from DomainTools is on here please advise.

thanks

*as far the domain you lost, the more information you can provide the more others can try to help you...goodluck

It's a new service they are providing to their members I think. You get an alert every time one of the domains you own/have owned has it's whois-records altered.

Can anyone here from DomainTools tell us a little bit about this new service? :)

Mediamarket

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your current registrar is the key to the first step in resolving especially if the name is with the current registrar.

IMHO -

Chances are your email was compromised

-or-

The transfer to the new registrar did not follow the proper transfer protocols or if with the same registrar, did not follow the proper account push protocols.

If it is still with the same registrar then they should be able to lock down the name and isolate how it changed accounts/ownership. Each registrar has a different account push process so knowing the registrar could get you better advice.

If it changed registrars then.......

Your current registrar can start a transfer dispute and the new registrar has to provide the Form of authorization which should show how it got approved without your consent.

(This is a reason why selection of registrar can be so important because some are much more helpful than others)

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

thanks

Its a free service from Domain Tools for your own domains and you can buy others. I too started getting them recently ,even though there have been no changes.

DG

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your current registrar is the key to the first step in resolving especially if the name is with the current registrar.

IMHO -

Chances are your email was compromised

-or-

The transfer to the new registrar did not follow the proper transfer protocols or if with the same registrar, did not follow the proper account push protocols.

If it is still with the same registrar then they should be able to lock down the name and isolate how it changed accounts/ownership. Each registrar has a different account push process so knowing the registrar could get you better advice.

If it changed registrars then.......

Your current registrar can start a transfer dispute and the new registrar has to provide the Form of authorization which should show how it got approved without your consent.

(This is a reason why selection of registrar can be so important because some are much more helpful than others)

Go with this, Pat. And from what you described, it sounded like the domain is
still with the current registrar, is it?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One other thing to expect, Pat: NameCheap might ask you to sign waiver form
for this. Their CEO Richard Kirkendall said they typically do this and sign such
also from the other registrar, but I've seen them recover domains hijacked from
their client accounts.

Hope it gets resolved ASAP.

NetworkMsia

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
it could also happen due to keyloggers, wifi sniffer passwords, spywares that come in a bundle of illegal softwares, warez, stuff that you download, and etc.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I thought this happened also after getting some of the recent emails from domaintools only to dig deeper and realize they are names I either dropped or sold awhile ago.

LovellTechnology

Niche Marketing Expert
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it could also happen due to keyloggers, wifi sniffer passwords, spywares that come in a bundle of illegal softwares, warez, stuff that you download, and etc.

Possibly but very doubtful, since I am a Mac guy. =P

We don't have to worry about those things.

I think I have it sorted out. Thanks for all the help folks, I'll update you when this is finalized.

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom