Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

domain stolen from register.com to godaddy.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bashar

Kuwaiti UNIX Geek
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

one of my customers got a domain with register.com and for some reason some hacker got his passwords and transfered the domain away to godaddy.com

after he contacted register.com to re-claim his domain back "as per icann rules they can request to back-transfer the domain" they told him we dont have the domain now contact godaddy.com and the latest connects to your account were form xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx IP address at xx:xx time

how come? can't they help requesting to transfer back the name to register.com ?

i had the same issue once a customer transfered a domain from dotster to my enom sub-account and enom said this is suspected fraud and we are returning the name as per icann rules

any advice? should i contact ICANN and ignore register.com or start contacting register.com on his behalf ?

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It may be that you need to demonstrate some clear sign that "funny business" has gone on. Like a record that the domain transfer process was hoodwinked by an expired admin name scenario, or something. If everyone who had seller's remorse could request a name to be transferred back to him, there would be hell to pay. How would they know that your client did not withdraw his approval for a transfer?

I'm just raising some questions, hopefully someone else can offer you more information to help determine your current options.

~ Nexus

Ari Goldberger

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In these circumstances, the following is probably a good start.
Contact the current registrar and advise of the fraud, copying the losing registrar and current registrant. Tell them to investigate. Probably prudent to get current registrar to put a lock on the name while the issue is investigated. You might want to get a lawyer involved. Filing a lawsuit seeking an injunction to transfer the name back is costly but would be the most effective root.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let us know how this turns out. I think more and more situations like these are occuring every day (unfortunately...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom