Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain Testing offered by Registrars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I heard a while back that some registrars are now offering a traffic testing grace period before you commit to registering a new domain. Is this true? Or are some people simply registering a domain, testing it and then deleting it if they find the traffic doesn't meet a certain level.

The reason I ask is this:

Once in a great while I do hand register domains that I feel have a chance at becoming a unique or valuable brand in the future.

I had my eye on a particular domain. I checked it via several whois services and confirmed in my notes that it was available.

The next day I checked again, before I was going to register the domain, and I noticed it was now taken! The Whois information had not yet posted, so I waited a couple of days.

When the information was posted I saw that sure enough, the domain was registered just a day after I first discovered it. The domain was pointed to a parking service.

The strange part is I checked the name again a few days later and poof, it was available again.

Can anyone explain what might be going on?

Domain Days 2024

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which registrars offer this service? Is this a special type of service you have to qualify or pay for?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had monitored one with 3 different registrants just in 2 weeks before I eventually grabbed it for my client.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone regged the name to test for traffic and found it not traffic worthy and cancelled the registration within the registrar grace period for full refund.

All registrars can do this, not all registrars extend this grace period to their customers.

My guess at numbers.
100,000+ .com registrations per day right now
100,000+ .com cancellations (full refund) per day right now.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
I believe ENom offers it to their ETPs.
Are you sure? So I too (as an eNom ETP) have the power of the big guys? I could afford 25 cents per name (i.e. $25 for testing 100 domains).

checknme

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Are you sure? So I too (as an eNom ETP) have the power of the big guys? I could afford 25 cents per name (i.e. $25 for testing 100 domains).
Very interested in this answer as well. :)

Mr. Pim

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
indeed very interesting..

i m gr8

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes Enom offers this and I have just made a script to do this . You cant do it from your account area you can only do that through their API .
This is not limited to only ETP , it is available to All Resellers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom