Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Theft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I can assure you that you cannot register a trademark/service mark based upon the domain name alone. They will actually turn down your application if you do that.

Domain summit 2024
M

mike

Yes, you are wrong. A domain that has expired is like abandoned property. It's up for grabs.

I think PB believes that domains which have expired are exceptional pieces of work of the minds of others; therefore we are not worthy of appreciating them and buying them.

If that were true, PB, nobody would buy paintings and the artists would have some nice wallpapers.

I think PB believes that domains which have expired are exceptional pieces of work of the minds of others; therefore we are not worthy of appreciating them and buying them.

I think he's just trying to fire people up. He can't possibly think like that.

M

mike

they are like abandoned intellectual property then which has been destroyed BUT which the means exist still to exactly replicate the abandoned and destroyed property.

I agree. this is a non-issue. We have more important matters to address.

Goodbye Thread.

Originally posted by powerbulbvitalia
Isn't it acquiring an "expired domain" name, same as stealing someone's car parked on the street? Or like cheating on somebody, cheating at school test? Or worst yet, if you are not able to take the "initiative" to get a "well thought of" domain name for yourself, then do it right, buy the initiative and creativity from the "owner". I've heard owners complain about domain names they forgot to renew because of other problems or responsibilities going on in their lives at that time. So why steal someone else's thought? :eek:

I guess people who think integrity and ethics have to take a back seat in order to expedite profits abound. :mad:

Am I wrong here?

if you don't take care of your children.. the STATE will take them away and plant them in a home which will provide and care for them.. even though you were 'creative' enough to create them.

if your a home owner, and you don't pay your mortgage, the finance co. will evict your Rear.. and plant a new family in that home which will take care of it... cut the grass... pay the mortgage etc..
(even if you were 'creative' and painted one side of the home hot pink)

if you spent $9 on a unique cyber property.. and you don't pay your mortgage every year, and keep the grass cut (tending to it) then it becomes one of those
"Adopt a HiWay (CyWay) program"
and someone comes along and adopts the property & tends to it and takes care of it..

So, the 'adopt' a drop program, is all GOOD !!

In answer to someones question: Did you losse a domain name that way? my answer is no. But I think it would be right to see domain names as "intellectual property". Definitely. And meanwhile, I just want to say that when you file to acquire a "fictitious business" name, no one can touch your name for a period of "five years" after you have not used it. It should be the same with "domain names" with the difference that domain names should be considered "intellectual property." Thanks for bringing that up.

Unfortunately, your last statement is invalid: domain names are not intellectual property by themselves.

In fact, to register a trademark or service mark based upon a domain, you have to actively use that name per the USPTO's regulations.

I've gone through the process and I know.

On another note, how come you post here once a week and then hide away? :D

"if you don't take care of your children.. the STATE will take them away and plant them in a home which will provide and care for them.. even though you were 'creative' enough to create them. "

In regard to the comment above, I must say that your comparisons are out of place. First of all, You can't consider yourself or anyone else "creative" for bringing children to this world "knowing" that you are not going to take care of them. I would call this being "selfish" not "creative".

"if you spent $9 on a unique cyber property.. and you don't pay your mortgage every year, and keep the grass cut (tending to it) then it becomes one of those

As far as this comment is concern, I say, this is not about "not paying" your mortgage every year. It is about coming up with a "unique domain name"....ONCE and that domain name has a VALUE. If it has a value...then it should belong to the ORIGINAL owner, period. Whether he renewed it or not, he/she is the one who came up with the name and it belongs to the ORIGINAL.

Originally posted by powerbulbvitalia
"if you don't take care of your children.. the STATE will take them away and plant them in a home which will provide and care for them.. even though you were 'creative' enough to create them. "

In regard to the comment above, I must say that your comparisons are out of place. First of all, You can't consider yourself or anyone else "creative" for bringing children to this world "knowing" that you are not going to take care of them. I would call this being "selfish" not "creative".

"if you spent $9 on a unique cyber property.. and you don't pay your mortgage every year, and keep the grass cut (tending to it) then it becomes one of those

As far as this comment is concern, I say, this is not about "not paying" your mortgage every year. It is about coming up with a "unique domain name"....ONCE and that domain name has a VALUE. If it has a value...then it should belong to the ORIGINAL owner, period. Whether he renewed it or not, he/she is the one who came up with the name and it belongs to the ORIGINAL.

not just wrong..

but totally wrong..

my post is RIGHT..

and GOOD..

and TRUE

D

domaingator

Wanda May's quote is nonsense. A domain does not engender ANY intellectual property rights by its registration, current or otherwise, at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators