Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domain trading platform?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nucite

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a trading/negotiations platform tailored to domain names? For example, I might have:

abc.com
def.net
ghi.us

and you might have:

jkl.com
mno.biz
pqr.org

The two of us could see what the other has "available for trade" and we can go back and forth negotiating a deal.

The reason I ask is because one of the startups I just launched (gocollect.com) does this sort of thing for antiques and collectibles and I was thinking of adding "domain names" in as a collection. I know I'd use it if there were a lot of others using it, but I'm not sure if there would be as much of an interest. Your thoughts?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
trades are rare, but can already be offered here at dnf

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem is who will push first? and what will happen if the other one do not push his/her domain to your account?
There is no payment transaction to prove.

nucite

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem is who will push first? and what will happen if the other one do not push his/her domain to your account?
There is no payment transaction to prove.

Well, the system in place on GoCollect does layout the full negotiation history as well as the terms the 2 traders agreed to. But the site itself doesn't oversee the actual trades to ensure they happened as they were agreed upon. The traders can leave feedback for one another on the trade though... although that's not too useful until you've got some feedback I suppose.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My first dozen deals were trades and done on the honour system with a few respected domainers, these days trades are not as common.

-=DCG=-

nucite

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, just for fun I setup domains as a collection on GoCollect. It's definitely a "hack" of the system, but if people think it will be useful, I can branch it out and modify it under another domain... the technology is all there. So check out my "tradelist" of domains. I just put in a couple to show what it does.

http://domains.gocollect.com/lists/view/u/Jeff/type/trade

To get a feel for how it works though you'd you to follow these steps to add your domains:

Sign in.
Click the Archive New Item link near the top of the domains.gocollect.com page.
Add the domain name.
Click the Add To Tradelist button and check that you're willing to trade.

The system is more of an "archive" than a trading platform, so that's why there's the need to archive first. But once you're singed in, you can start a negotiation thread with me centered around one or more of my items (domains in this case) and 0 (therefore cash) or more of your items. BTW, you can setup a negotiation without actually proposing it to me just to see how it all works.

I don't have the domains collection "activated" in the system, so it's basically hidden from random visitors right now. Do you think it's useful or should I just stick with physical items?

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
OK, just for fun I setup domains as a collection on GoCollect. It's definitely a "hack" of the system, but if people think it will be useful, I can branch it out and modify it under another domain... the technology is all there. So check out my "tradelist" of domains. I just put in a couple to show what it does.

http://domains.gocollect.com/lists/view/u/Jeff/type/trade

To get a feel for how it works though you'd you to follow these steps to add your domains:

Sign in.
Click the Archive New Item link near the top of the domains.gocollect.com page.
Add the domain name.
Click the Add To Tradelist button and check that you're willing to trade.

The system is more of an "archive" than a trading platform, so that's why there's the need to archive first. But once you're singed in, you can start a negotiation thread with me centered around one or more of my items (domains in this case) and 0 (therefore cash) or more of your items. BTW, you can setup a negotiation without actually proposing it to me just to see how it all works.

I don't have the domains collection "activated" in the system, so it's basically hidden from random visitors right now. Do you think it's useful or should I just stick with physical items?

So are you asking questions or trying to promote your site.

nucite

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So are you asking questions or trying to promote your site.

Not at all... sorry if it seems that way. I was just curious if it seemed like a useful tool to anyone for domain names. The site really has nothing to do with domains and appeals to a completely different audience. I just saw the potential with the system and figured I'd throw out the question. I could see how it could be thought of that way though, so you won't hurt my feelings if the thread gets pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom