Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

domain transfer charges ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

greendesert

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

I see that some hosting sites state free transfer of domains while others charge the cost price of registering domain with them ? I dont understand,
what's the deal here ?

2ndly, which is the best hosting service ? shared one.
I am still learning :)

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"The deal" is that registrars set their own pricing and charge whatever they like. There is no "best hosting service" - it largely depends on what you want from a feature point of view. I'd suggest having a look at some hosting reviews, forums such as webmasterworld and others might help.

greendesert

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Then I can still keep my domain registered with a particular registrar while host it with anybody just by changing the nameservers ?

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then I can still keep my domain registered with a particular registrar while host it with anybody just by changing the nameservers ?

Correct, you can host it anywhere. And in a lot of cases it is best to register your domain at one place, since they specialize in domain registrations and host it elsewhere who specializes in hosting.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Namservers a.k.a.
Domain Name Servers
DNS

Also, the "charge" is normally a reg fee and it will add on a year to your current registration period (normally).

I have a few domains that are good until late next year due to transfers.

Another reason for having seperate registrar & hosting company - if one goes down you're not 100% out of luck, you still have control over another part. Many people learned this lesson w/ NameFly (I think that was the name).

greendesert

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Registerfly - was that the name. Read it somewhere.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RegFly was a registrar who went belly up last year after ICANN pulled their lisence.

They never let their customers know and those who had domains with them had an extremely difficult time getting their domains out, if they were able to.

Their site was also hacked (by employees) cussing out the CEO (or owner or whatever).

Edit:

Here you go:
http://www.dnforum.com/f285/registerfly-com-review-registrar-thread-136351.html

simon johnson

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
greendesert: I'd keep your name registered with them until a couple of months before it expires. If you don't like the registry then give yourself time to transfer it out of there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom