Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Domain Transfer - New policy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

In the past I always got the transfer request from the registrar of the person to whom I was transferring the domain to.

I approved the transfer request if I agreed.

Then I will get an email from my registrar notifying me of the transfer and asking me to cancel the transfer if I disagree or if I agree then do nothing and the domain will get transfrred by a certain date.

Last week I got email from my registrar informing about a transfer of my domain to someone. I was told that if I do not respond or cancel then the domain will get transferred by a certain date.

I did not get any email prior to that from the registrar of the person who requested the transfer and I never approved any such transfer. Then why would my registrar send this email authorizing the transfer without my approval.

What if I do not check my email for few days and never see the transfer? Then the transfer will proceed as I won't be able to cancel it by the date mentioned in the email.

I asked my registrar why are you authorizing transfers without my approval and I am told that its the new transfer policy by the ICANN and it is applicable to all the registrars so they can't do anything.

I have now protected all my domains so that all the transfer requests get denied automatically. But I am still not convinced if this is the new transfer policy by ICANN ... it sounds so stupid.

Just wondering if there has been a change to the domain transfer policy by ICANN?

Thanks,

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It came in a few months ago and it's got to be the craziest policy change of all time.

Not only do you run the risk of losing a domain if you're not extra vigilant, but the transfers now take ages.

yesonline

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So we should lock domains that the registrar would reject any transfer request automatically.

croupier

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep. But always check the emails coming in, you never know what the scam artists can pull.

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
this is horrible desicion for new policy. More opportunity for scammers, they can just randomply start transfering domains, on the off hope that its unlocked, and person won't notice.

And for the domainers its an extra hastle to have to wait the time period to get the domain transfered. Bad deal all around if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom