Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale Domain transfer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is the domain transfer process different when the "whois" is private?

I have recently purchased 2 names, one transfer went really smooth allowing me to add a registrant to my 10dollar.ca account and then grab one of their names. Then delete the registrant.

The next transfer I tried to do the exact same thing and I needed an activation code from CIRA to add the registrant to my 10Dollar account before I could begin to grab the name, this name had a private "whois".

I have to think that these pain in the azz transfers are going to hinder the market and cost sales. People will argue that if someone wants a name they will work through the process, and who cares about losing sales of cheap names. The more barriers, the less players, the longer the whole market will take to develop.

If domainers can be confused then what's an end user going to do. I like to think I'm very intelligent, but I do like when things are simple. It feels like every freakin transfer I have done has been different.

Should CIRA do something about this, or am I just not as bright as I like to think I am? Wasn't there a CIRA guy around here a few weeks ago before the election??? :uhoh:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I like the CIRA process it makes the domains in the .ca space very secure.

I'm not sure what you mean about the transfer process. It is always the same doesn't matter if it is private or not.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And transfers can make a big difference depending on what registrar you use, but most are good ...

try to use Namespro.ca and at all cost do not use Netfirms... they make things tough.

JMO

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with transfering a private name, probably depends on the registrar as Stewie mentioned. CIRA plans on changing their backend to a similar approach as .com and other tlds. It uses the EPP protocal and some talk about it from their minutes located here http://www.cira.ca/2009-09-23-minutes/ section 8.

The expected launch of the new system is late 2010

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain privacy (on CIRA's end) does not affect domain transfers whatsoever.

The proper way to transfer a domain is to do an actual "registrant transfer" through CIRA. This costs registrars the same as a 1 year registration fee, but the domain itself does NOT get extended for year year. Registrars just pass this fee on to the customer.

The other way to do it is to just change the registrant's information for the domain to match that of the new owner (name and email address are the key things). This cannot always be done however because sometimes the previous owner of the domain has multiple domains attached to one registrant profile, and if we change that registrant profile to the new owner then it will change the registrant information for all their domains.

We prefer to do the second method when possible to save the charges to our customers. However in both cases there is no "code" from CIRA involved.

In case #1 CIRA will confirm the registrant transfer with the current registrant, then the registrar, and then finally the new registrant. Once all 3 parties have confirmed, the transfer will complete.

In case #2, CIRA will confirm the contact information change with the current registrant. In cases where the contact has granted their registrar CWA (change without approval), no confirmation is needed.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
CIRA plans on changing their backend to a similar approach as .com and other tlds. It uses the EPP protocal

What does
an EPP-based OT&E environment
mean?

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It means CIRA is giving registrars a "test" environment with the new EPP-based registry protocol so registrars can start integration... in preparation for the launch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom