Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain typos and the billion $$$ empire. Everybody is set to cash in on it.. Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know what they say... All good things must come to an end. Well, if you don't already know, the domain typos and TM problem crash is inevitable. It cannot be stopped. It can however be delayed but it will happen sooner than later. You can count on that. But when?! Who knows!! What I do know is that for now, everybody is set to cash in on it. Starting from Google and Yahoo, as well as all of the dozens of domain parking companies powering the millions of TM and problematic domain names. Thousands of committed and determined opportunists and professional domainers are going to exploit the system to the fullest and register and profit from every domain with a little bit of potential.

Some of the domain industry's finest are cyberquatters... Well, they are seen as ones by the public eye anyways. But who cares right?! Almost all industry insiders and internet reporters, analysts and so on think otherwise... They are held in high regards and well respected as entrepreneurs and visionaries, but by the general public they are nothing more than typo squatters. Yep. It's true. Those giant companies with millions of domains under their management who are at the center of the domain industry are all cashing in on trademarked domains.They own them. They park them. They sell them. They do it all...

It wouldn't be fair for me to single out any one domain related services company and go off on them and on and on... But really, all of the top domain industry companies are guilty. They all participate. They all turn the blind eye. They all willingly choose to. Nobody forces them. It is very convenient to play it stupid. It is easy to let things slide. Sure thing! Why the hell not?! Good $$$

Look, I am no angel... I've had my share of UDRP's and TM problems / disputes which I've been able to settle amicably for the most part. It takes a lot of time and skill in order to be able to do this. I'll be the first to admit to own what may be considered a lot of problematic domains few years back. Domains that may be considered confusing / typos or domains that I should not of owned in the first place if we were all to follow certain rules and guidelines setup by ICANN, but I made those decisions (registrations) knowing all the risks. I did the research. I did everything I needed to in order to go about making a good business decision, take out as much risk as possible from the equation and hopefully make a lot of money. So what if it involves bending certain rules and exploit the system here and there... Everybody else is doing it! Lets go for it.

When PIR (Public Interest Registry) who controls the .org registry was running promotions on .org domains at $1.99 per year for new registrations of course I wanted in on it! I mean, who can pass up such a great deal right?! I registered thousands of .org keyword domains at various participating registrars who were passing on the savings. I quickly setup web sites on them by mass development and made some nice money thanks to Google AdSense who provides an instant monetization solution... Oops!! Oh wait, I wasn't suppose to do that??! Was I? Setting up websites for the sole purpose of making money from them is kind of Google AdSense' TOS violation or something I think... Oh well. Who cares right?! Everybody else is doing it... Why the hell not! Go go..

So, what exactly is the whole purpose of .org domain names anyways? Here is the text found right on the mainpage on the PIR website "Trusted across all backgrounds, ages and nationalities, .ORG is where people turn to find credible information, get involved, fund causes and support advocacy. As a premier domain, .ORG provides an unrivaled channel to share ideas, to enhance lives, to advance your mission."

Nope... I wasn't interested in setting up .org websites where people could turn to find credible information, get involved or fund causes or support some sort of advocacy. I was interested in particular in snapping up as many of those remaining keyword domain names in .org as possible because Google and Yahoo favor keyword domains in .org and it is easy to rank them at the top. I wanted to make lots of money off of them by doing as little work --- at only $1.99 it was a no brainer and a great investment. I was all over it... Why not?

I did a clean sweep of some of the best remaining dictionary domains as well as common commercial phrases that I was interested in. Domains mostly consisting of two and three keyword combinations. Why shouldn't I had registered them?? Was it really wrong? My competition would sooner than later! So I did it without hesitation. I beat them to it. I got them all then. The first day the promotion was available I had my lists ready and within 24 hours I had secured about 98% of the domains I wanted to. I still have most of them today... Websites that have taken off shortly after being launched that now pull in a ton of traffic thanks to Google, Yahoo and MSN that make a nice and passive income... Gotta love it. It's just great. I love the PIR and .org domains.

There is a abuse and exploitation going on pretty much at each and every level as far as the domain industry goes. Starting from the registrars who profit off of trademarked domains by registering them for their clients behalf as well as re-selling them at auction once they expire. Domain parking companies monetize those problematic domains traffic for all of the top registrars as well as all of their clients domain portfolios. Domain investors trade and resell problematic domains that they never even should of owned on a daily basis many times over and over again. It's everywhere. No getting away with it.

Those same companies putting on the biggest and best tradeshows... Those sponsoring the lavish parties and get togethers... Those giants controlling some of the largest domain registrars in the world... Those domainers running some of the most influential domain discussion forums... Those bloggers who are outspoken and highly respected in the space... They all do it. They all exploit the system. Some of them speak out about it and contribute a little bit, but behind the scenes, they are all about something else. Dirty money. Money made from problematic domains. If they don't directly own the domains they manage them for clients. They have been breaking the rules for years. Way before they came into the public eye... Still, they continue to break the rules and have the best of both worlds... I mean, why not? It's working out!!!

Sooner than later... There isn't a single doubt in my mind that it will play out just like this: There will pop up a young and ambitious and highly motivated lawyer who will want to make a name for himself and he will go after the domain name industry in ways that none of us have even imagined. It is coming and there is no denying it... Hiding behind the whois privacy of your domain registrar won't protect you when the court orders start to come in and your registrar hands them over all of your personal information and lots of other goodies as show of full cooperation. You think they are going to protect you just because they make a dollar or two per registration and you have been their client for many years with thousands or tens of thousands of domains?? You are kidding yourself. They won't. It doesn't work like that. Never has.

All of the offshore companies and various accounts under different identities setup won't do much good either when the FBI is going to come investigate you and everybody you ever knew or did business with over the past decade. Everything you tried to hide so hard will be revealed in a few days time. Sure, there are a few people out there that have done a better job than others at not leaving traces but most of the people and companies with problematic domains... A 12 year old could find all the tens of thousands and hundreds of thousands of domain names that they own within a few hours. I guess they think that they are somehow untouchable. I find this to be kinda hilarious!!

So, you want to find out who they are for yourself? Wanna see how easy it is?? Go to DomainTools.com and use their Domain Typo Generator. Search for totally made up non-generic trademarked keywords such as Facebook, Google, Craigs List, Mercedes Benz, MySpace, etc. Use the "registrant" view to see exactly who owns them and the "dns" view to see where they are monetized. Thousands of problematic and possible TM infringing domains. Thanks to DomainTools for all this great information. The company that is owned by parent company Thought Convergence who monetizes some of those problematic domains with their Trafficz.com domain parking service. Nice!

When the .BE (Belgium) domain registry was giving away free .BE domains in a promotion and efforts trying to raise their ccTLD profile and so on... Guess what?? I submitted thousands of domains in the landrush at every .be registrar I could find that was offering this promotion. I had secured many great keyword domains which I mass developed. I also parked and resold plenty of them which had natural traffic and made thousands of dollars instantly.

About a few weeks later, I received an e-mail from one of the registrars where I had a few hundred free .be domains registered with and all of them were parked. I had not managed to develop them yet... They said something along the lines of "you registered too many domains..they are parked...we are taking them away and will be deleting them" so they closed my account and took control over the domains... Few days later, I visit some of the domains and... They are parked at a different company! This registrar was parking those domains for the remaining 330 days of the registration term and making money... Double standards?! You think? Nothing new in the domain industry. There are so many examples and cases I can point out... There wouldn't even be enough time to cover them all and analyze properly. It is for another day... No no.. It is for a 300 page book "Domain Name Industry: So Full of It."

Everybody does it... No denying it. No getting away with it. Show me a list of top domain portfolio holders who you know and think are 100% clean and I will show you a list of 10x more popular domainers and companies with 100x the amount of domain names who are as dirty as it gets. So really, there is nothing to brag about. Domain industry is trying to get all this mainstream attention and acceptance past few years... Is it smart?? Is it going to backfire? Of course it will. On TV, there is always stories about all this frauds and scams... On CNBC they are real hot this days on primetime. So watch out!! LOL.

So, whether it is a pissed off blogger or an ambitious lawyer or a TV exec looking to do something creative and go at it with the domain industry... There it is. Just waiting. The greatest opportunity to truly expose it for what it is. It is so easy. It is so simple. It is so worth it. But why isn't anybody doing it?? Why is everybody skipping this story? What... A $1 billion dollar plus scam and fraud isn't good enough? Well, I think I know the answer and I think you do too.

Anyways, there is a lot more to be said and written about this subject... I could go on and on but there is really no end. It is very complicated. It is also very profitable. Everybody wants to cash in. Every single day another Joe Schmoe wants to do it and gets in the world of domaining. Domain parking companies want to do it and encourage it. Domain registrars want to do it and run promotions for new registrants. Internet service providers want to do it off of unresolved internet addresses. Web hosts too... Everybody is doing it and getting away with it. If somebody quits doing it, another one picks up right where they left off. There is no quick easy way or solution to the problem.

On a final note, though, if and when domain typos are either taken offline, blocked or stopped being monetized... There will be a ton of rage and debate and it will effect everybody and I mean everybody. Tons of good traffic gone from the search channel. Tens of millions of targeted monthly visitors gone from Google's and Yahoo's ad inventory. Hundreds of millions of dollars gone from the cash flow of Google and Yahoo and many top domainers. Oh there will be chaos... Will there? Can it really happen?!? What a disaster.... Noooo!?

Look, I don't know... But the domain industry sure as hell is fun and exciting and it is what used to get me up and early before sunrise each and every morning highly motivated and ready to conquer the challenges presented. The fact of not knowing.. The chase... Well, I've retired from the 24/7/365 win-at-all-costs domain game or domain grind or whatever you call it this days but as an observer of the industry and a big fan --- still fascinated by it as I am sure many are. We'll just have to let things play out and see how it goes. Be careful though, there are always consequences! Don't think that you are invincible.

Domain summit 2024

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike, now that was one short post. I think you're right though!

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike, now that was one short post. I think you're right though!

LOL

thanks ;)

it took me about 30 mins to originally write this

and then about another 10 mins to re-scan and re-edit a few things

its funny coming here and seeing some people still reading this post after one hour!! :blush:

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
your posts take at least an hour to read.
you are entertaining, though.

Deleted member 70408

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Those bloggers who are outspoken and highly respected in the space... They all do it. They all exploit the system. Some of them speak out about it and contribute a little bit, but behind the scenes, they are all about something else. Dirty money. Money made from problematic domains. If they don't directly own the domains they manage them for clients. They have been breaking the rules for years. Way before they came into the public eye... Still, they continue to break the rules and have the best of both worlds... I mean, why not? It's working out!!!

Mike,

I personally disagree with this statement and am a bit offended by it. "Those bloggers..." would imply that I am doing something illegitimate, as my blog is one of the most read domain blogs (as you know).

1) As I have publicly stated in the past, I typically make less than $15/month typically in parking. When I do have a good revenue producing generic name that I won't develop, it is usually quickly sold.

2) I do not manage domain names for anyone or any company aside from my two businesses.

3) I sleep well knowing that I will not receive a legitimate UDRP or C&D because my domain names are as generic as possible, ie LowellMillGirls.com, CigarEnthusiasts.com, Fireproofers.com, NewRochelleAttorney.com... are examples of some of my (150-200) second tier domain names that are currently not developed. Sure, anyone can file a UDRP for any name, but I don't worry that a legitimate claim will be made on my names.

I can't speak for anyone else, but you should be careful when you make a blanket statement in a public forum.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Elliot, I didnt get my $500k in parking revenue this month from my portfolio you manage, can you please send cash this month, the cheques just take too long to clear. Thanks :lol:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I quickly setup web sites on them by mass development and made some nice money thanks to Google AdSense who provides an instant monetization solution... Oops!! Oh wait, I wasn't suppose to do that??! Was I? Setting up websites for the sole purpose of making money from them is kind of Google AdSense' TOS violation or something I think... Oh well. Who cares right?! Everybody else is doing it... Why the hell not! Go go..

I have to just :lol: at this. I've seen this in AdSense's policy yet Google supplies feeds to parking companies.

While the feeds aren't AdSence, isn't that a little hypocritical? We can do it but you can't. I guess it just goes along with the golden rule.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While the feeds aren't AdSence, isn't that a little hypocritical?

Adsense and the domain channel feed are two different things. That's like claiming it is "hypocritical" for airlines to charge different rates for first class and coach tickets, on the observation that all of the seats are in the same airplane.

The rates charged and paid by Google for Adsense and domain channel are different, hence the programs have different rules.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of the offshore companies and various accounts under different identities setup won't do much good either when the FBI is going to come investigate you and everybody you ever knew or did business with over the past decade.

For TM/typo domains? I think not brother...not until it was actually a federal "crime". Even then it would only be earnings/actions AFTER THE FACT. Right now tm domains are a civil liability and it's the TM owners responsibility to enforce it with the rights granted to them as a "TM Holder". I think the sky has been falling for a long time now, except you have to realize the owners of most TM domains are not even based in the USA and are not subject to US law & regulations, although their domain usage/ownership agreement may very well be.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mike,

I personally disagree with this statement and am a bit offended by it. "Those bloggers..." would imply that I am doing something illegitimate, as my blog is one of the most read domain blogs (as you know).

1) As I have publicly stated in the past, I typically make less than $15/month typically in parking. When I do have a good revenue producing generic name that I won't develop, it is usually quickly sold.

2) I do not manage domain names for anyone or any company aside from my two businesses.

3) I sleep well knowing that I will not receive a legitimate UDRP or C&D because my domain names are as generic as possible, ie LowellMillGirls.com, CigarEnthusiasts.com, Fireproofers.com, NewRochelleAttorney.com... are examples of some of my (150-200) second tier domain names that are currently not developed. Sure, anyone can file a UDRP for any name, but I don't worry that a legitimate claim will be made on my names.

I can't speak for anyone else, but you should be careful when you make a blanket statement in a public forum.

El, I am always careful... Since day 1 of getting involved in the domain biz i've been extra extraa extraaa careful....you wouldnt get far if u werent? its a tricky game!!

keep goin at it..

ur blog wasnt one of those i was referring to for the record

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I never bothered with typos because I never saw it as being a good long term investment.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For TM/typo domains? I think not brother...not until it was actually a federal "crime". Even then it would only be earnings/actions AFTER THE FACT. Right now tm domains are a civil liability and it's the TM owners responsibility to enforce it with the rights granted to them as a "TM Holder". I think the sky has been falling for a long time now, except you have to realize the owners of most TM domains are not even based in the USA and are not subject to US law & regulations, although their domain usage/ownership agreement may very well be.

blah blah..

if you are US based --- they will get you

did you ever actually speak to a lawyer about this stuff or did you just dream up this stuff one night?

lol :lol:

i don't know how you came up with this rational but it is funny... it really is

whats next.. are you going to suggest to people to protect themselves by using whois such as

n, n
n
n, Alabama 12345
United States

...just like you do?

there is too many newbies in the domain game who talk about BS

Acro is one of them... all talk talk talk

but he has a faithful following and solidarity amongst his peers

anyways

guys... this is just a "reality check"

u can agree or disagree with what i wrote in public, but YOU know its how it is, and you better think twice about what you are doing or plan on doing because the only thing you can count on is CHANGE it happens whether you like it or not... it is unstoppable

have a great day !

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Adsense and the domain channel feed are two different things. That's like claiming it is "hypocritical" for airlines to charge different rates for first class and coach tickets, on the observation that all of the seats are in the same airplane.

The rates charged and paid by Google for Adsense and domain channel are different, hence the programs have different rules.

Great explanation, thank you.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Right, Mike. I talk about things I *know* about. I don't pretend to know things I have no clue whatsoever about. But you seem to know it all, and yet when you're being asked for specifics you avoid giving any answers.

I am not judging your writing style, I am commenting on the pure fact that what you write about contains a) factual errors b) doom and gloom c) generic sales pitches and d) little substance.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I sold TM names to the TM holder. NOt once but time and time again. Talk about taking food from the lion's den. I have made thousands thus far with them, not by PPC, but selling TM names to TM holders themselves.

http://www.chrisdesouza.com/images/chacha.bmp

I did many such deals. This was one of the lesser profitable names. You have to know the game. I don't do such anymore. But Mike, seriously, keep your fears to yourself.

The reality out there is much different. No one got me and no one ever will. How about that?

blah blah..

if you are US based --- they will get you

did you ever actually speak to a lawyer about this stuff or did you just dream up this stuff one night?

lol :lol:

i don't know how you came up with this rational but it is funny... it really is

whats next.. are you going to suggest to people to protect themselves by using whois such as

...just like you do?

there is too many newbies in the domain game who talk about BS

Acro is one of them... all talk talk talk

but he has a faithful following and solidarity amongst his peers

anyways

guys... this is just a "reality check"

u can agree or disagree with what i wrote in public, but YOU know its how it is, and you better think twice about what you are doing or plan on doing because the only thing you can count on is CHANGE it happens whether you like it or not... it is unstoppable

have a great day !

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thank you for being honest Chris --- i like people who keep it real

iv sold many...well, lets just call em "problematic" domains, involving typos / misspels / potential tm's as well, think reversed words, etc..

i've had people threaten me, my web hosts, my registrars with DMCAs, UDRPs and all kinds of legal action... i replied to them with an escrow.com deal at $1000 a pop and said "will expire within 24 hrs" and they paid ME in order to get what they wanted within hours -- it was convenient and it definitely works, im not saying it doesnt ;)

there is plenty of money to be made in domains, in very creative ways, in trying to bend the rules, as well as playing it safe... to each his own

SO it is nothing new--- exploiting the system, everybody does it, i did it... u did it... many continue to do it, and it will alwyaas be there, an easy way to make a buck

i am talking about the typos abuse on a massive level x millions of domains

the dirty money that made the industry what it is today

the $$ that financed everybodys legit portfolios

the fears you talk about...

well, i alreayd said what needed to be said, and u see... just because it hasnt happen yet, it doesnt mean it wont happen, tomorrow is a new day.. u never know :)

and never say never :lol:

consider ur self lucky... hell, we're all pretty lucky obviously.

I sold TM names to the TM holder. NOt once but time and time again. Talk about taking food from the lion's den. I have made thousands thus far with them, not by PPC, but selling TM names to TM holders themselves.

http://www.chrisdesouza.com/images/chacha.bmp

I did many such deals. This was one of the lesser profitable names. You have to know the game. I don't do such anymore. But Mike, seriously, keep your fears to yourself.

The reality out there is much different. No one got me and no one ever will. How about that?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Mike, are you talking about some "dark secret" we don't know about? Or some "well-kept" method that was used by the "black hat" domainers, locked in some ill-lit basement in an untold city? I mean, where is the juice...your post is stale and offer generic statements. Have a story to share, then by all means do it. Talking about how someone did something "bad" somewhere using something is as appealing as watching onions blossom.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's news to me. I asked this question awhile ago and never got this reponse. I always thought they were the same ads.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mike,
It is DIRTY money. No question. I still hold hundreds of TM names from yesteryear and will not relinquish it for nothing. And I understand that you are emphasizing 'Change' which is coming. Even behemoths like Microsoft's charge cannot contain this dirt.

But, like Acro pointed out, your concerns or what has to come must support data. Although we still enjoy reading your posts, we may just about get tired sooner than later without getting facts to support your warnings.

But keep writing. You make us think, cause a reaction and eventually a fruitful discussion.

Considering that Typos, and especially the blatant TM name game is worth billions of dollars, I am surprised, why there isn't an industry to quell it altogether instead of an ad hoc approach by lone rangers?

The big G's need it. The GoDaddy's need it and ICANN's need it. Make no mistake about it. It is all about mutual profits.

Barring few serious violations, this game will be played for a long time to come. If you need proof, I will openly post my sales without fear of retribution. There is NONE!

Looking forward to your next post.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dude, did you skip ur meds today or something? What exactly was the point of all that rambling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators