Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Domaining in 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domaining in 2010

What do you all think will be some of the opportunities in domaining as we start the year 2010. What are the best strategies that can help put us ahead of the game as we go forward in this new landscape.

2009 wasn’t that great for domains and domaining in general, but I am hoping that 2010 will be different. I think that there will be more awareness of domains by the general public in 2010. There are a lot of small businesses that still don’t have a website and in addition to that there are a lot of people who can’t find regular employment (or who are tired of working for someone else) who might be considering opening their own online businesses. We might see an increase in demand for good and usable domains in 2010, although most of this demand will probably be for the lower priced domains that the average person or the small business can afford. I am beginning to think that it might be better to sell a bunch of domains in the lower priced categories than to keep waiting for that one big sale that might never happen. IMO

-

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domaining in 2010 will be a lot popular as new players in the industry will come in and more efforts are taken by old-timers to develop domains and bring the industry to a higher lever with their own self-strategies...also there will be lots of sales in the xxx,xxx - x,xxx,xxx figures as more generic, geo, even brandable names come to the fore for liquidation to keep up with the hard times...

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a small upswing in late 2009 (especially in prices). 2009 was definitely a buyer's market but I think it will slowly become a seller's market. I don't think we'll see consistent huge sales until late Q2 / Q3 without some large company buying up generics.

Web developers have always been a dime a dozen, any day you can easily find many who specialize in what you need and I think it will take someone finding a small niche to really become a significant player in the system. Someone will have to make the next Facebook / Twitter etc...

New players - definitely. There are always new players but you're right with a lot of people out of work the thought of turning a $10 investment into $1,000 is too tempting for most people. I think we'll see a lot of new people coming in with the same mistakes: redusedmustangcars.info - $15,000 FIRM! ect.. sales popping up.

We'll see, I wouldn't mind offloading a lot of my domains this year.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm feeling optimistic... I think things will take a turn for the better as the economy slowly starts to recover. The changes won't be quick, but there will definitely be changes.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think we will see innovation that will make domain parking obsolete....maybe 2011 though ;-) - original development takes time.

markjwyatt

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone think dot TV will start being noticed in 2010? I am thinking about Flo.TV, plus it being advertised during the superbowl. I notice a lot more dot TV in Europe (especially Germany).

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- Development over parking
- Quality over quantity
- ccTlds will get more attention and more people will realize that not all ccTlds offer the same opportunities

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm optimistic about domaining in 2010, I've had my best January and february, pocketing about $2k profits. I think development is the way to go. I'm getting rid of my crap names, and developing the ones I think that can earn me money. I'd say development is definitely the way forward.

I'm also subsidising my online income by selling my photo retouching services, so I can put more money into developing sites. I have 4 in development ready to release in a week, and one more huge project ($10k+ cost) in the pipeline.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is still lot's and lot's of businesses who still do not see the value in keyword rich domains,I think there will be a lot less money about in 2010,let's just hope i am wrong ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom