Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Domains -> Hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kvarnsten

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Id like to straighten out a few concepts for myself. When buying a domain AND hosting from a company, is all they really do to forward the domain to my own subdir at their servers, while cloaking the address in the address bar. Or is there a more tied relationship domain->hosting? You could expect it to be that simple but when forwarding a domain from many registrars, you have the option to specify title, meta tags and so forth, which shouldnt at all be necessary if all domain->hosting account ties were the same.
greatful for answers,

Matt

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Matt,

I strongly encourage you NOT to buy a domain and hosting from the same company. That gives them a bit too much power over you.

To answer your question, I doubt your scenario is accurate for most legit companies. There are some excellent domain management programs out there (cpanel & plesk come to mind) that handle the domain/server relationship quite nicely.

If you are trying to figure out the best way to do this business, I suggest you find yourself an $8.95 enom account (many members here will give you one for free) and learn to manage your own domains (it is a very user-friendly interface) then find independent hosting somewhere with plesk or cpanel and manage your own destiny.

I guarantee you will be much happier and more successful in the long run.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Firstly be careful when buying domain + hosting packages, some cause much grief by not passing ownership of the domain to their customers. When it comes to leaving for another hosting company you can suddenly find that you can't take "your" domain. As in all things, read the small print!

The normal arrangement for the hosting of domain names requires that the hosting company configure your domain in their DNS Server, which tells the "search" where to look on their servers to find the "space" allocated to that domain.
Title, meta tags etc are normally incorporated in the webpage itself, being written when you do your website design - you can check these in Internet Explorer by clicking on "View">"Source" and you will see the code at the top of the page.

Don't know if this answers your question.

kvarnsten

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for the answers! taking the small website projects Ive done in the past Ive never had the need to get aquinted with the cpanel and such, so I guess its just some exploring to do and Im there. "some cause much grief by not passing ownership of the domain to their customers" - I guess thats where they make their money :) poor bastards

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
kvarnsten,

I like the idea of hosting one domain name for $40.00/year and then frame URL forward multiple web sites behind your home page.

If any of these web sites begins to dominate your bandwidth ( a good thing ) cut it free and give it a $40.00 hosting account of its own.

((Mod Edit - No advertising permitted))

With this method, you have good traffic monitoring, good control and minimum investment.

If you already knew this stuff, then maybe someone else might benefit.

quack :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom