Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domains with the word Mobile

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Be careful registering more domains with the keyword mobile.
Companies are figuring out that you don't tie yourself to one business motto anymore.

In Canada a major player Bell Canada which has a flanker brand called Virgin Mobile which just renamed themselves to Virgin Plus.

Read more here...

blog.dn.ca/2021/07/domains-with-the-word-mobile.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

you stated same thing in an appraisal thread and i totally disagree with it.
there is new company "mintmobile.com" recently started by well known celebrity, advertising on tv with cheaper rates
also, xfinity is now in mobile game as well and they are advertising xfinitymobile

and... back in the day, i used to own viginmobile.us.com and earn some ppc rev from it too!

imo...

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
back in the day, i used to
... be a cybersquatter ;)

Would you do that kind of thing again these days ? (register trademarked domains)

As for "mobile", I guess it's a broader question: Yes, it's always good to not be limited by your name or domain name for a company. But if you clearly work in the mobile business, it does make sense to have "mobile" in your (domain) name. You also need to be able to get the domain. If I'm not mistaken, "JoeMobile" was mentioned in the appraisal thread. the company would probably love to have Joe dot com. JoeMobile dot com is far easier to get, and cheaper, though (they may even have been able to handregister it).

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
you stated same thing in an appraisal thread and i totally disagree with it..

Yes, I expanded on that comment and wrote an article.

You may disagree but the trend has started already, the renaming of companies to more all encompassing names has already begun. Sure small companies will continue to use very descriptive names but larger companies that will pay big bucks for domains will look for more all encompassing names.

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There is a related subject which often bugs me: The use of "Bank" in domain names. I do think THIS to be a bad idea. Because it's a regulated business in many jurisdictions, and business aren't allowed to use the word "Bank" in their name unless they are properly regulated as an actual bank. They usually won't risk to use a domain with the word in it either. So, you are severely restricting how many customers may be able to acquire such a domain.

@MapleDots If your point in the end is that shorter and broader names are better. Sure "Joe" is better than "JoeMobile". It's also far more difficult (thus the big bucks). For you also, to be able to put your hands on them.

MapleDots

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
@DomainsGENERAL.com

JoePlus.com would be even better, assuming joe was a large company. That is why Vigin Mobile us now VirginPlus in Canada. Mobile was too confining for the company.

If they could ever get it they would surely go for virgin com but the next best thing is to use a second word that is more all encompassing.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Would you do that kind of thing again these days ?
Hi

no, i wouldn't, and wouldn't advise it either.
though at that time, and this is no excuse,
but i was caught up in, what it seemed like... 'everybody else' was doing.
at least until domainers got a moral compass when domain tasting, was tasting sooo good.

currently i have two > callmobile.com and xn--moble-p4a.de

but back to the subject,
virgin mobile name change may have more to do with Sprint owning it in the US and transferring customers to Boost Mobile

so, maybe they want to avoid confusion in Canada, which imo, has nothing to do with any danger of acquiring mobile domain names

imo...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom