Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

DomainSite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerrit

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how reliable DomainSite.com is?

I have been using them for two years now and always was pleased by their user-friendly interface and by their fast support.

However, last year I had a nasty experience: I got a message in my mailbox reporting a succesful login attempt. I checked the date and time, and noticed I did not log in to my account myself at that time. I was afraid I was being hacked, and immediately changed my password. The next day however, someone again logged in succesfully at a time that I wasn't online myself.
I checked the IP address and it lead to Bangalore, India. I was really worried and after about a day I got reply that the office in Bangalore is an outsource post that takes over DomainSite's work while the offices in Denver are closed for night-time.

Since that happened I am a bit insecure. It's my only negative experience with them (why did those people in India log in? Why was there no notice that it was a staffmember instead of a hijacker) but since that happened I am a bit in doubts about weither I should still register more domains with them.

Does anyone know if DomainSite is considered a highly trustworth and reliable registrar? Or should I be worried and go elsewhere (despite the good prices and many included features at DomainSite)?

cottontail

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domainsite is an ICANN accredited registrar which has been running successfully with for five years. Some of our very first customers are still with us -- which is both a privilege and a compliment. I'd like to think the word they would use to describe us is.... "reliable."

We did have a support team in India for a few years, and we allowed them limited access into accounts, which is why you received a notification. Sorry about that. We eventually decided we would rather have our support team in one central location (Denver) -- so you won't experience that again. We consider the privacy and security of our customers a priority, and we have very few cases of "hacked" accounts. Thanks again!

cottontail

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A year is a very short amount of time in the universe.

But, yes, I did, I figured it was better now than never.

thanks,

:)

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is great - I didn't know there was a DS rep here at DNF. I've also enjoyed using your services and interface for some time now and have been steadily increasing the number of my registrations at DS these past months. Just now I sent a support email, however, because for some time I have seldom been receiving the DomainSite purchase email whenever I register new domains. For instance, I got one on Dec. 28 2007, then none for four regs on 1/1/08, then none for a reg just this morning. Same thing for a number of domains before 12/28, too. Also didn't get one for a bulk all domains lock after today's reg. My email address is ok and continually receives other mail. It appears you may have a sporadic system bug of some kind.

Other than this relatively recent no-emails development, however, DS has been one of my favorites to use since discovering you.

cottontail

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for bringing this up Nova. The tech team is looking into it and support should get back to you in a few mins. It's tough to diagnose since we can't re-produce the error, maybe it's something with different browsers, or being in Web1 or Web2, or it could be the little elves manipulating the email pathway. No, in all seriousness, I'll get back to you when we get a better idea what's up...

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, cottontail. Fyi, to my knowledge I've never used anything but Firefox for regs at Domainsite, probably always the most current version.

cottontail

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey Nova, just to follow up, we are unable to find anything in the logs to indicate sporadic emails, and we can't reproduce the error. Hmmm. Can you please let us know if it happens again? Tell us what name you registered, and what email address the confirmation should have gone to, and all the nitty gritty details you can manage. We might be able to diagnose it better that way... Thanks for your input.
Hope you have a lovely day!!

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Been getting the DomainSite emails with every new reg since posting here and receiving support reply email from Jennifer, cottontail, so it looks like someone at your end may have straightened it out. Last reg late yesterday evening in fact. I've got the DS and whois screen shots of previous regs, so I'm not concerned about those now since it hasn't happened again. Will contact support again if necessary. Btw, always been using the same email address for these regs. Thanks again, cottontail.

P.S. Later this evening after writing the above: I did another lock all domains bulk update about an hour and a half ago, but didn't get the "Domainsite.com - Lock/Unlock Bulk Update Complete" email for that, however.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like I may have posted too soon, cottontail. About 40 minutes ago I registered four more .com's, but didn't get the DomainSite purchase email or bulk update email after changing the nameservers for them. Ironically, I had replied to Jennifer's support email early this morning saying that I had been getting all the new purchase emails since contacting Support, but only not bulk update ones such as for locking and changing contacts and servers. The only email I got after registering the four new domains is the successful login confirmation. I just sent a follow up to Jennifer, i.e. [email protected].

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cotton, do you guys allow for or have clients that heavily taste domains? i'm showing quite a bit of daily registrations and some of them are random two word combinations so i was wondering if this is attributed to tasting or just heavy overall registration (~7k+ domains/day)

Yofie

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cotton, do you guys allow for or have clients that heavily taste domains? i'm showing quite a bit of daily registrations and some of them are random two word combinations so i was wondering if this is attributed to tasting or just heavy overall registration (~7k+ domains/day)
Considering domainsite "lost" 246,500 domains in the past 30 days, they either have heavy tasting, or 1/4 of a Million people moved there domains out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom