Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

<dot> city domains - are they worth a risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.berlin comes available this week. It doesn't appear to have the same sort of domicile restrictions already announced for .nyc and .paris. I was tempted to try for some very useful looking names but decided it's not worth risking. Does anyone have any inside info worth sharing?

jmcc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Consider it closer to a ccTLD than a gTLD. (There is also a clause in the .BERLIN registration agreement about usage.)

Regards...jmcc

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you need an address in Berlin, or a trustee ... but that makes the domain a lot more expensive. I am a native of Berlin, and read in the news that there was an incredible boom in the order, if you be interested in german words, so I can help you in the decision.

Charles Sweeney

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think of the new domains they are among the most interesting. As a Scot I'm looking forward to .scot coming out, though living in London I might not get priority, but I do for the .london names!

These have got to be good: property.london, food.london, hotel.london etc.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Berlin!? Where is that!? Kidding..
Why haven't states or large cities come out yet? I'd rather reg something with .london than .berlin

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When in .berlin, do what the .berliners do.

In other .words, if the name has nothing to do with berlin, the german language, the people of Germany, I see very little value. Germans are quite proud of their .de namesake so getting them on board for something else local and regional would be nice...but they have to accept it as their own. With the exception of a very rare and highly desirable english words, german language would fare better.

manyagem

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I put in a pre-order interest for streetmap.berlin and capitalcity.berlin but decided I might have to do a lot of work to justify the high registration fee, so pulled out. Interesting that <dot>berlin needs no translation into English whereas <dot>wien is not immediately obvious to English speakers as Vienna.

CS, I think you'll find those useful and obvious names for <dot> london have already been reserved.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.wien is a win for Vienna, although a small market overall. I think as a "micro" market, they will do fine.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do they know what "streetmap" is? Wouldn't they use their Marie language instead?

visit

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sorry MobilDesigner...
but the world don't end on the border of Redmond or the United States.
Berlin its one of the most attractive City for tourists in the world..of course after Redmond WA :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom