Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dot Investment Group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an idea to start a group that could possibly pool their assets/invest and work as a group to purchase voted upon domains. We all use different programs, tools, means and ways to find quality names. Some of us run into situations where we find a great deal, and can't capitalize on it, because of funding. I believe that by starting a purchasing group, we could basically run it like stock. Shareholders have a vote for each share of stock on possible registrations. There are many scenarios that could possibly comeout of this, and make it a worthwhile venture for all parties involved.

There are Many different ways to do this, we could purchase domains that have been voted upon, by using snaps, NameWinner, etc... And either sell the domains, or develop them. Working as a group for proper search engine placement, and design for resale as a completed site, with a great domain name. Developers could then be compensated with additional stock votes.

This is just an idea, but I think it has great potential, and would like everyones viewpoint on it.

CoolHost.com

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I give you an A++ for creativity, but in reality we are a head-strong bunch where it isn't always easy to agree on which domain/domains are worthwhile and which are not. The share-splitting would not always be even, and it would be difficult to keep track of. Not against the idea at all ... just think it might prove to be too overwhelming a task. I wish you luck with it though, of course. Please keep us posted here.
Good Luck.

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe only allow a certain percentage of stock to be allotted. keep the numbers even, work on one project at a time, hmmmm maybe that's a good idea Purchase the domain ahead of time, so people know what they are getting into, and then submit it to the group for people interested in investing in developing and marketing it.

Like i said just an idea, looking for new methods, and ways of overcoming obstacles.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a timeshare...and you see how popular those are :weird:...

I think it's better every man (woman) for himself.

Just my 2 cents.

:)

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
While it may be good for winning names on NW if you don't wanna invest a bunch on NW to get a domain, early bird names that u can pickup on snap I don't believe people would want to share as it was their find alone.

Only real way I see something like this working is running your own scripts like buydomains & ultsearch cause then your not using any of the other 3rd party drop services.

Nice idea tho! :)

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here currently run their own script? Anyone interested in selling or developing a script of this nature?

YODD

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this fits in, but I had a similar idea to put togather a small group of "domain name investors" and each puts up an agreed amount, say 10 guys 10.000 each, we then buy high priced names and market them to potential fortune 1000 companies. The name or names would be held by an escrow Company such as escrow.com who would hold the name and make sure that 6 out of 10 owners always agree on what happens to a specific name. other logistics would have to be worked out.

I think I am saying the same thing as Sid

Just an Idea...

Thanks,
Lorenzo

sitehq

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i might be interested in smaller $1,000-5,000 "backing" of great names on a case by case basis.

it would be similar to oil well drillers spliting up ownership to conserve their capital.

I suggest acquirers gets names with his/her own dough - so the fear of someones else knowing name is out there and overbidding the finder it moot, , and then offer shares on a markup basis - ie- $5,000 name split "4 for for 5" meaning there are 5 shares, but each person puts up 1/4 of the money netting the original acquirer a profit on any shares he decides to keep. so 1/5 of the name costs $1,250...... then investors can own portfolio of percentage ownership of various top names.

now how about security for the name - any ideas........

Page Howe
Site HQ

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe even working with the market, the way that it is, some type of arrangement could be made with interested parties. Could be a co-op, where each person specialized in certain goals for the potential sale of the site. I.E. domain scouting, graphics design, search engine placement, marketing. I think that even if we invested a small amount as at the beginning, and simply built our invesment by starting with smaller targeted projects, then we could very quickly aquire high priced domains, by using the funds that we have aquired from doing so, and learn some easy ways of accomplishing things when we did move on to the bigger and better projects.

I actually have an idea in mind at present for selling some scripts . Designing a few sites centered around resellable scripts that I found. The initial investment for this project would be a total of $500, and our time. But marketing is easy with these types of sites. If anyone is interested please PM me. I think that 5-6 partners would be a good number to start off with to build a little cashflow into the co-op, then pickup larger investors as we move to bigger projects.

PM me if interested.
Sid

Domainut

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So investing per domain, might also be a worthwhile venture, allowing a group to compete with some of the Big Guns on NW.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a similar idea but it was in aquiring and selling names. I think maybe we should pitch in and make our own PRIVATE drop club. And if we were able to beat NW or SN or BD sometimes, maybe market our services out. Of course this involved direct access to the registry... Negotiotors!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom