Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

dot .NAME is dot LAME

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they've just opened up 2nd level registrations (to begin in january). example: android.name.

however, NONE of these registations will be allowed to have email address authority. in other words, you can't have [email protected].

how absurd is this? paticularly since .NAME seems to be geared towards non commercial use and email would be the primary application.

this is clearly a move to tempt the secondary market into a huge land grab. they might change hands in the aftermarket, but without email, i can't see any end user applications.

this is just .NAME's death rattle.

Android

http://www.nic.name

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always thought it was the stupidest extension ever devised. If I am looking at a URL I have already kind of figured out that it is a name (don't really need any prompting on that one)! :)

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Android
however, NONE of these registations will be allowed to have email address authority. in other words, you can't have [email protected].

Where did you get such blatantly false information?

danield

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If I told someone my domain was "daniel dot name" I bet $100 they would type in "daniel.name.com"

It is a truly absurd extension.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ToastyX

Where did you get such blatantly false information?

chill. it's all on their website (GNR):

from thier FAQs:

Will there be any email service on the second level domain registrations?
No, the second level domain registrations will be entirely delegated to the Registrant's nameservers. The Registry will therefore (and can technically not, since the domain is entirely delegated) not be providing any email service on second level domains registrations, like is done for third level registrations ([email protected] as the email address for the registered third level domain peter.morgan.name)

visit www.nic.name for more info

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That doesn't say what you're saying. That just says the second-level domains will be entirely delegated to your name servers, so the registry can't provide e-mail forwarding like they do for the third-level domains. You can still setup e-mail just like you would on any other domain.

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Android
i suppose then that means that they will only allow 2nd level registrations for names that don't have any thirds already taken?

Yes, exactly. :)

Delete

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think there really lame myself but I did but in some preorders with pool just in case lol

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Delete
I think there really lame myself but I did but in some preorders with pool just in case lol

Just in case what? They might suddenly become un-lame? :-D

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Unless they significantly change the registry rules, .name domains can't even be transferred to another party. This makes them totally worthless to anyone but an end user. Maybe this will change with 2nd level names, but even so, I don't see a market.

Heck, they can't even get individuals to use them, why would commercial users?

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by adoptabledomains
Unless they significantly change the registry rules, .name domains can't even be transferred to another party. This makes them totally worthless to anyone but an end user.

Anything is possible.

.TV names cant be transfered, but ownership still can be changed..

GreatDomains has .TV domaisn for sale :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom