Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

dot us popularity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
I am wanting to get some feedback on the values for good .us names. For example: cars, travel, realestate etc. Are these valuable now and is the space growing?
Thanks,
Rob

DomainName

Live, Eat, Breathe Names
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Space is dead and names are worth reg fee at best. IMHO.

Seems like more people are going to other country ext. from what I've been seeing...in, uk, etc.

I haven't seen a big us ext sell in a very long time.

money-raker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
cars, travel, realestate etc.

those kind of names are worth 100K plus,

There have been a few sales in the 6 figure mark (none publicly available) That i have heard of (cant say if true or not) but News.us has been sold.

The space is only going 1 way as far as i'm concerned.

Video.us sold for $75K

i'd have to say 70% of the top 100 names are held by a few people ~10 maybee even 5.

There the smart 1's not selling yet. in fact very very very samrt people.

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting study. Why is ".us" suffering such poor popularity, while .co.uk, .de, and others are growing in popularity? What accounts for this?

One reason could be that .com is the "de facto" standard extension for US-based enterprises.

DomainName

Live, Eat, Breathe Names
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting study. Why is ".us" suffering such poor popularity, while .co.uk, .de, and others are growing in popularity? What accounts for this?

One reason could be that .com is the "de facto" standard extension for US-based enterprises.

I think the .com is what held the .us from growing in popularity. No US company wants or cares for .us its only the .com that every US company wants.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is...Do I know of a live .US site?? My answer is NO. I have not typed in 1 .us extension into the toolbar or found 1 top-ranked .us extension in google.

Dead money IMHO

cars, travel, realestate etc.

those kind of names are worth 100K plus,

There have been a few sales in the 6 figure mark (none publicly available) That i have heard of (cant say if true or not) but News.us has been sold.

The space is only going 1 way as far as i'm concerned.

Video.us sold for $75K

i'd have to say 70% of the top 100 names are held by a few people ~10 maybee even 5.

There the smart 1's not selling yet. in fact very very very samrt people.

These values compare nowhere near the .com, .net, .org value though if you use the same keywords (compare on an apples-to-apples basis).

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It would seem to me that now would be a good time to buy some premiums! If the space is considered dead and businesses needing domains + com's being out of reach, sounds like a good recipe for dot us growth. Isn't there something like 1.4 million registrations?

Rob

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.us is picking up steam now that all the sucker money stopped flowing to .mobis. :)

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the .com is what held the .us from growing in popularity. No US company wants or cares for .us its only the .com that every US company wants.

I think the question you have to ask yourself is...Do I know of a live .US site?? My answer is NO. I have not typed in 1 .us extension into the toolbar or found 1 top-ranked .us extension in google.

Dead money IMHO

The most popular .us site is more than likely del.icio.us, which is a domain hack. Dot us is the domain hack extension of choice, it seems.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I've typed in Volvo.us because I knew that's where to find the car site.

money-raker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Theres only a small amount of people who see the value in .us (which is there) and then theres the rest that have been told by someone else that .com is king,

it is in a way but it's not the only extension that works :)

.us /.net/.es and all the rest will do exactly what .com will do.

all you need is something that your visitors need and i'm sure they will remember .us

You'll not see many of the .commers investing in .us as they know the potential is there but cant risk everyone else knowing,

EG: InternetDating.us was in the Idate auction (i never followed it but Internet dating auction) And the name was dropped Why ?

What better name is there for this kind of auction ? :lol:

Didn't want to see a .us beat most of the crap they had in there :)

and nuestar is not helping matters much IMHO!

i'm happy to invest all my money in .us (which has almost paid off) but it's your choice.

you'll always get people telling you not to and just invest in .com (which to get anywwhere near the good names will cost you your house :) )

it's a waiting game for sure with .us but what better extension to invest in than the 1 that makes the most sense for us businesses. it's the most talked about 2 letters in the world, US (maybee a bit over the top but you get my point)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First .us was released late to the public - in 2002 the Internet was already big, people have built on .com and have not waited for .us...
So the ext starts at a disadvantage but I am confident it will eventually pick up.
Also there are several extensions being used in the US: .gov .mil .edu
So .us does not necessarily spring to mind as THE extension for America :)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Feb. 2008 (only one day reporting)
AerialViews.us 13 12 92%
$2.26

January 2008
AerialViews.us 242 136 56%
$33.77

December 2007
AerialViews.us 178 97 54%
$14.05

November 2007
AerialViews.us 86 39 45%
$3.12

October 2007
AerialViews.us 84 61 73%
$7.51

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
obvously DomainName didn't manage to get in the .us when they were dirt cheap and it now spouting off the stuff we hear from the people who missed out on .mobis and .tv :disappointed:
How anybody can categorically make 'its DEAD' statement really disappoints me.

Blanket statements from ignorance have no right being in this section, he could have at least balanced with a couple of facts.

Yes, premium .us names will always fetch a decent sum (i.e. more that you likely paid for it) as they do in ANY extension. This was in fact the ORIGINAL POSTERS question.

LLL.us were reg fee 2 years back and are now 75 - 300 for 'resellers' depending on quality. 'DEAD' would mean they'd fall back to reg fee and be dropped.

However, balancing that out, is the hundreds of domainers who buy a .us name that stands an incredibly small chance of even recouping their money back, which I think is what DomainName SHOULD have said.
These are the names that, as a .com, would be 'okay' but as ,us basically suck.

So, yes, the namespace is still strugling but its far from 'dead'.
However, most of the good names have gone and you will need to check out the drops and think very carefuly when making a purchasing decision.
Like all domaining, its basically a gamble.
.us is a riskier gamble but you could say the rewards might be greater on a percentage profit basis.

Stick to generic one and two word names and LLL and you should have a chance. The market only has to turn and you'd be happy. As .com continues continues to rise, this will always help .us. If .com falls though, the .us will look even worse.

There a lot of .us holders on here who have already paid for their .us portfolio many times over. Those how haven't experienced this and see a quiet market will always blight this extension. Take both of the extreme sides of view and make your own conclusion.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How anybody can categorically make 'its DEAD' statement really disappoints me.

Blanket statements from ignorance have no right being in this section, he could have at least balanced with a couple of facts.
Finally, someone gets it.

I am seeing this over and over on this forum.

Statements such as this actually should read;

I don't like them. I wouldn't have any.

Allow me to update my stats through February 8:

AerialViews.us 128 91 71%
$22.52

I need a few more dead extensions.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Michael, this is not even about .mobi. Simply because I own some .mobi's does not mean I am all about .mobi.

My comments were in reply to and in agreement with the 4u-domains that blanket statements like,

Space is dead and names are worth reg fee at best

are based on personal opinion rather than any factual basis.

Comparing a .us to its .com counterpart is pretty asinine as some have tried to do.

If a person does not type in .us in a tool bar does not mean that no one is typing in .us.

I'm an "old" fashioned .com guy with a look towards other markets and extensions.

Sure, we have our bread and butter staples like .com. But every once in a while I want some jam or jelly on top to change the flavor.

I just get a big kick out of someone saying this and that is dead or don't use this or that.

I am glad that same pathetic advice given 10 years ago is stilled being doled out by the "experts". When they were saying "don't" I was laughing and still am.

I used only one .us as an example but I have plenty more. Such as BirthdaySuits.us and more which I have turned down several offers for. As long as these names are making $20.00 - $30.00 per month to supplement the rest of my stuff, I see no point in selling them.

I can have one $1,000.00 parked domain or one hundred $10.00 domains. It all calculates the same. For me, I'd rather have a great mix to capture a wide variety of traffic.

A bad .us is no different from a bad .com or .mobi or anything else.

I also have tons of .com that generate no revenue. Surprisingly, LLL or L-L do not get a ton of natural type in traffic. That may come as a surprise to many but not to me.

Folks are not looking for it.

In my case, I wonder how many folks are typing into the likes of Google or Yahoo or ASK:

us aerial views
or
aerial views, us

and are ending up on my parked page.

So all is relative. Keyword rich names often times do well by default.

Then again, some things still baffle me.

I own 2014Brasalia (home of the 2014 FIFA World Cup) in .com, .net, .info, .org.

As for traffic, they rank

.net
.info
.org
.com

Go figure.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.us is not dead but for the moment it's a sleeping giant.
Nonetheless I am under the impression that .us traffic is on the rise. Anybody notice similar trends ?

rmacdon

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great News.
I have just bought a .us premium name and am hoping to get more. I think the time is now.
Rob

money-raker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The hard part is trying to find a decent name that does not belong to a fellow "domainer"

I've had some succes (in fact my best name was bought from someone who did not do a lot of "domainig" if he/she were a domainer i'd have paid 10 times what i got it for (i WOULD have paid 10x that amount just to get this name)

And also recently turned down $2800 for 4 lll.us names (good 1's i must say but none the less)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom