Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DotRegistrar.com nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
anybody else have domains at DotRegistrar? is there ANY way to get support to reply to you? of better yet, any way to get someone on the telephone.

worst registrar ever.

Drewbert

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard, people are moving their domains away from there as quickly as feasible.

Including those who've nearly lost domains due to recent hijacking attempts there.

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drewbert
From what I've heard, people are moving their domains away from there as quickly as feasible.

Including those who've nearly lost domains due to recent hijacking attempts there.

i'd LOVE to move my domains. most are .biz and .us. these need AUTH CODEs to move. and DotRegistrar doesn't make the AUTH CODEs available in the control panels. so it seems you have to make support requests to get them. what a drag...

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cmason22

i'd LOVE to move my domains. most are .biz and .us. these need AUTH CODEs to move. and DotRegistrar doesn't make the AUTH CODEs available in the control panels. so it seems you have to make support requests to get them. what a drag...

Thanks for this info.

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When I use dotregistrar support, they reply witihn 24 hours.

Recent hijacking attempts were done by their customer tried to stole domains regged at NSI. This has nothing to do with regging YOUR domains at dotregistrar and/or transferring your domains to dotregistrar.

They do not have free DNS managements or e-mail forwarding though.
They have 1-click registration process.
No problems with dotregistrar so far...

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Drewbert

You won't hear me bad mouthing very many companies like this - but DotRegister/DotRegistrar are truly an insult to the entire industry. From their incredibly lame interface (THE worst in all of domain land) - to their complete lack of support and everything else in between. That place puts the 'uck' is 'sucks'.

They are without a doubt one of the poorest run - and sloppily operated registrars in existence today.

Enough said.

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I moved my domains from dotregistrar to OLN, but that was mainly because DR were a couple of $s more expensive.

Kid Kool

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i would say dotregistrar is the best registrar i've used. They always answer support, and they have a nice one click registration

DotDuDe

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hmm how about their domwish service for dropped domain names? Sucks?

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kidkool
i would say dotregistrar is the best registrar i've used.

I can honestly say - that out of hundreds of people I know who have used them - this is the first time I have ever heard anybody say that. Really - it's hard to believe. Though I don't doubt you - and I'm certainly happy for you.

Just goes to show you how different people expect different things from their registrar. Either that - or you just got lucky - because on a scale of sucking.......

*Scale Of Sucking
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
DotRegistrar/DotRegister = 100
Discovering your girlfriend was once a man = 77
Being attacked by a swarm of locusts = 54
Having the FLU in the summer = 25
Registering a really bad name = 14
Stubbing your toe on the way to the bathroom = 3

LOL :laugh:

*NOTE: THE 'SCALE OF SUCKING' OPINIONS ARE MY OWN - AND NOT NECESSARILY SHARED BY DNFORUM.COM

HeavyLifting

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you will begin to understand the magnitude of dotregistrar suckiness if you ever try to transfer a .us or .biz domain from them. obtaining an AUTH CODE is next to impossible.

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm one more lucky dotregistrar customer. I enjoy cheap prices (better than average enom reseller /including powerpipe.com - one of the cheapest enom's/).
They never rejected my valid credit card (stargate-enom-dotster reject my card sometimes).
Their whois is not bounced - this is important for me as I wish the buyers can find contacts via whois as well.
Their whois is real-time - good thing too (some registrars update it once a day).
I do not need dns and e-mail services on registrar level anyway
so this feature is not important for me.
I agree that their interface is not very friendly, but once I understood how their "profiles" system works and do not have any problems with it. I did not count how many keys do I need to press at my keyboard to perform this or that domain-related task at dotregistrar, but I feel it is at least the same (or not more) with other registrars. However bulk pushing of few domains to another account requires more keypresses, but I can live with it.
Finally, no paperwork and no fee required to change ownership.
Unfortunately, they do not offer "registrar lock" feature.
YES I choosed dotregistrar because of cheap prices, and hundreds of domains I have at dotregistrar saved me reasonable $$$... no problems with this registrar so far...

tonyk2000

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
by the way, The scale of sucking needs to be improved :)

*Scale Of Sucking
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Netsol = 1000
Stargate = 200
DotRegistrar/DotRegister = 100

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hehe - fair enough Tony! :)

Hmmmmm........ maybe I should register ScaleOfSucking.com and get a TM for it. :D

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have you guys actually used Netsol recently? Their systems for transferring domains are improved by 1000%. You can now transfer domains between owners in around an hour with no more paperwork and a $3 fee only.

Still sucky, but not as sucky as they were. :D

Larry

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Like most here I have probably used 10 different registrars over the past 6-7 years...and I agree.

dotregistrar has, by far, the worst system I have ever seen. The user cp is absolutely horrible and since I don't use it much (thankfully) it always takes me 20 minutes to figure out what they want me to do get simple tasks completed.

It would be very helpful if they would use the same terms that most registrars use...but they don't which makes it difficult to find anything..and those credits (or whatever they call them) drive me nuts.

DrDomain

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm a DotReg veteran and they pretty much are horrible for first time users...in fact, the worst. But once you get the hang of it, its alright.

However, I have heard recently that some guy got his account broken into and password changed at DotReg which freaks me out big time. I'm considering changing registrars but its really tough when you know their interface so well.

Validweb

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
IMPORTANT NOTICE

Starting January 25, 2003, any .com or .net domain not renewed on time will enter a Paid Redemption Period of 30 days before it is definitely deleted.

This new grace period is designed to give you one last chance to recover a domain: at this stage you can ask us to reactivate your expired domain for a cost of 17 (seventeen) DRYs. Please be aware that this expensive service (which guarantees a 100% chance of recovery) is based on fees DotRegistrar has to pay to the registry . As a less expensive option, you may use our DomWish? domain recovery service at a cost of just 5 DRYs. You only pay if the domain is recovered.

How can they do this? Which registry change is this due to and are any other registrars doing similar?

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Other registrar can change their policy as they wanted to regarding registration or renewal, that's their business. If you read the website Term of Agreement (often I don't), they have clause that they can change or update the policy as business dictated them.

So you have to select reliable service to manage your hundreds or thousand of domain names, think of the long term process.

Cheers,
tw

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom