Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DotRegistrar - Worst Registrar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My client had a name residing at Dotregistrar.com
Creation Date: 19-feb-2002
Expiration Date: 19-feb-2009

Last week Dotregistrar DELETED the domain from my customer's account and changed nameservers of the domain to THEIR OWN NAMESERVERS!
When we got in touch with them to check if the domain was stolen/hijacked, this is what they said:

"I'm afraid ********.com wasn't stolen but cancelled due to inaccurate whois information. For this reason, you won't be able to manage this name again, nor request any changes to be made to it.
Please wait until ********.com becomes available for registration again and re register it then if you wish to have this name again."

Trevor Garrett
Customer Service Manager
[email protected]

I wrote back to them informing them that they have screwed-up. The whois is information is ACCURATE and it can be proved/verified.
Numerous emails have been sent to Dotregistrar since but NO REPLY has been received.
Nobody picks up the phone as well.

The domain in question was an active website receieving 2,000 unique visitors a day (A portal offering free email, news, jobs etc.)
Dotregistrar's stupidity has resulted in the website going offline AND ALL TRAFFIC GOING TO DOTREGISTRAR'S parking page (where they generate PPC revenue)
Also, since the domain registration is valid till 2009, it is still not available for registration... so MY CLIENT IS STUCK!

I tried transferring the domain to another registrar... but that failed too.
Anybody here can offer some advice on how to deal with the issue and claim damages from the Dotregistrar scumbags.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looks like you have to go through ICANN on this one , what a mess!

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dotregistrar has always been the BEST registrar in my opinion.

They have always had a slick interface, which I felt was ideal for domainers with large numbers of names.

People who want pretty graphics and a Fisher-price gumby-like slow moving "I'm a dummy and I know it" interface could go to Godaddy. Huge masses did, making Godaddy the #1 registrar to my amazement (lesson learned: if you decide to market something big, do it for the idiot masses, don't design it for how you personally would like it).

Dotregistrar was, since 2000 when I started using them, sleek and cool.

However with their increasing penetration into the aftermarket, I am Wary of late. And nervous. You want your registrar to feel safe.

I did have a personal experience lately with Dotregistrar similar (but not the same) as yours.

Lately I really like Moniker... feels real safe, and nice interface.

My recommendation is to email Dotregistrar and tell them nicely and professionally that they had better put the name back, and that this is their last warning. Give it a couple weeks for a response.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Searchsix.com said:
Looks like you have to go through ICANN on this one , what a mess!
ICANNt is a sham. They do absolutely nothing at all to protect consumers, only take fees, and plan additional fees and expensive trips for meetings as much out of reach of the public scrutiny as possible.

The thread starter needs to get an attorney on DotRegistrar now and sue for damages big time. Send them an email and tell them the ticker on damages is running and note (cc) a copy for your attorney. Registrars are getting away with highway robbery nowadays.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this is clearly a reverse hijacking by the registrar

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm willing to believe tthat DR might have made an "honest" mistake on this, but that doesnt change the fact that they need to correct it asap...go after them with a vengance. As StocDoc said tell them that the ticker on damages is running...

Domain_Taster

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think DotRegistrar was recently acquired by another registrar, Dotster, who's been screwing a lot of people out of their domains by poor transfers from old to new registrar. Call up their top people or write to Dan Halloran or Tim Cole at ICANN - they oversee registrars

crazyd

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domain_Taster said:
I think DotRegistrar was recently acquired by another registrar, Dotster, who's been screwing a lot of people out of their domains by poor transfers from old to new registrar. Call up their top people or write to Dan Halloran or Tim Cole at ICANN - they oversee registrars

This is simply not true. Dotster has not acquired Dotregistrar.

And Dotster has not been pulling anything funny, I have dealt with them for a long time. Dotster is a good safe registrar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom