Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Down with the Domain Registry of Hell...

Status
Not open for further replies.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
[REMOVED BY DEVOLUTION - YOU DON'T DESERVE MY KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERTISE]

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Got one from Domain Registry of Canada (DROC) this week. No self addressed envelope included so I didn't mail their unsolicated crap back to them.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain Support Group (not sure if its the same firm as Domain Registry of America/Canada or not) called me on the phone asking for my fax number. They refused to say exactly why they wanted it other than important legal news re the possible loss of my domain.

A few days after I gave my fax number got an official looking fax from them claiming unless I reg'd my name with them in a different extension I may lose my dot-com name due to a possible Wipo complaint.

What BS, bordering on fraud. It's amazing they would go to the expense of calling and sending faxes.

P.S. As an interesting side note, they must have got my phone number from Whois so why did they call for my fax number when my fax number was on Whois anyway? What idiots.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigFart Not idiots at all.
By calling they know they have a live body on the other end that may be concerned about losing their name. Closing ratio must be very high when they talk to you first and you give them personal info. Also, it is illegal to send unsolicited faxes. They got your permission.

Never thought of that but that makes sense. Thanks.

You are right, it must work often for them to go to such lengths.

think

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domain Registry of America. I just threw away three or four of their letters. Ya, They are total scammy scumm. I wonder how many honest and naive people have fallen for their crap. Seasoned domainers aren't fooled but busy business people who had the name regged by their webmaster for them might be fooled. I hope someone pulls the plug on their scam!
If there is anywhere to sign a complaint let me know.
Think
AKA: C.T. Kirkpatrick

S

sheepster

Damn thats hardcore -- beats out ppl sending similar emails to your whois email addy.

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Put a blank sheet of paper inside the return envelope, slap a 1 cent stamp on each, and make them pay postage due!

If they are not operating a scam, the constant letters are certainly harassment. Why not fight back?

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by DotComCowboy
Put a blank sheet of paper inside the return envelope, slap a 1 cent stamp on each, and make them pay postage due!

If they are not operating a scam, the constant letters are certainly harassment. Why not fight back?

That seems a good plan. Tit for tat. ;)

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got another 4 today. }:<
I'm getting sick of ASA/CAPs excuses about 'they're sorting them out'. Yeah right.
I can't see why they haven't fined them, since they specifically have broken their previous orders to stop sending this crap out on multiple occasions.

Time for a class action folks?

Originally posted by Whois-Search
I got 2 from DROA today

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2 for me today - both return envelopes were already sealed so I assume they've given up anyway (I didn't even own the names!). Posted both back without stamps.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I posted them back without stamps and with a copy of this inside :

"ASA slams 'intimidating' Domain Registry of Europe mailshots
By Tim Richardson

The advertising watchdog has ordered the Domain Registry of Europe (DROE) to stop issuing mail shots that "look like bills".

In a ruling published today against the domain registry outfit, the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) upheld complaints that the mailings "misleadingly exaggerated the importance and status of the content".

It also said that the content of the letters was "distressing and intimidating to recipients".

The direct mailings in question featured an image of the European Union flag next to the words "Domain Registry of Europe" and "IMPORTANT NOTICE".

Said the letters: "We understand that your domain name XXXX expires on XXXX. We recommend you renew your domain name at least 30 days prior to its expiration to avoid any 'Registrar Lock'.

"Should your current registrar lock your domain name you will be unable to renew your domain name at what are likely to be the new lower prices offered by our firm. Renew today to avoid being forced to pay higher prices.

Failure to renew your Domain name...may result in a loss of your online identity, which may make it difficult for your customers and friends to locate you on the Web...Deregulation of Domain name registration now allows the consumer the choice of their registrar...You are under no obligation to pay the amounts stated below, unless you accept this offer...This notice is not a bill, rather an easy means of payment should you decide to register or renew your domain(s) with us."

The ASA was unconvinced by the defence put forward by the DROE and ordered the company to withdraw the mailing.

Anyone who receives further misleading direct mailings from the DROE should contact the ASA.

In August The Register reported that the ASA was investigating the DROE over concerns that their mail shots "looked like bills".

DROA IS NEXT !"

doubledee999

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
4 more this week for me also. These were from dotregister domains, 3 of the names I havent owned in awhile also

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
I had 3 last week.. One domain I did not own :laugh:

What morons.

-Bob

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I got one a couple weeks ago. It had several domains listed in it. I guess their trying to cut back on how many letters they send.

After I check it out, it goes into my paper shredder for some slicing and dicing.

RMF

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I keep getting them in batches of 4 or say every 2-3 months, sometimes more often that that. Each time I throw them away. They must definitely be scouring the OpenSRS whois database. I got one or two FAX "warnings" about losing extra extensions.

~ Nexus

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I never get one :(

I feel left out = (

diederik

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by devildude8989
I never get one :(

I feel left out = (

I'm feeling sorry for you now :cheeky:
Nah .. it saves you time so you won't have to but those letters / faxes in your trash bin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom