Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Dreamhost calls domainers "squatters"

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just received the monthly dreamhost newsletter and Brett from Dreamhost calls domainers as squatters. They recently added cctlds to their registration list and to promote it he is dissing us.

Quote from newsletter
If you've tried to register one lately, you've probably come to realize what everyone else has known for the last five years: All the good .coms are taken.

Notice I said "taken" and not "in use". That's because domain squatters buy up what can be had for $9.95/year (or less in some cases) and just hang on to them indefinitely, hoping that someone will come along and offer to buy a domain from them later for hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Reaction score
I wonder if these people get so outraged when they see empty properties owned by real estate speculators. No doubt they think they should be either given them or allowed to buy them for the cost of the stone. Of course ask to buy *their* domain for $9.95 and see what kind of response you get.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've heard that some webhosts are 'squatting' on depleted IPv4 resources.

One Dreamhost block among others:
Code:
NetRange	208.97.128.0 - 208.97.191.255
CIDR	208.97.128.0/18
Name	DREAMHOST-BLK5
Handle	NET-208-97-128-0-1
Parent	NET208 (NET-208-0-0-0-0) 
Net Type	Direct Allocation
This is a range of 16384 addresses.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
why not just cancel the subscription to the newsletter?

makes more sense, than letting that shiz-zit enter your brain :)

imo...

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Look at the blogpost. This guys an idiot!

http://blog.dreamhost.com/2011/06/07/whats-in-a-name/

People just buy these things up in bulk hoping that – someday – some deep-pocketed idiot will come along and take an interest in at least one of the domains they’ve got in their “portfolio”. And then – overnight – their mortgage disappears, their kids’ college is paid for, and a yacht shows up out of nowhere.

In my day we called these people “domain squatters”. Today they call themselves “domainers”. Their position on the Internet’s social chain is still pretty low though.

So it’s pretty clear now that the .com top-level-domain (TLD) is a junkyard. People have basically made a business out of of buying and selling piles of garbage domain names.

Last edited:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The real question is, when did this Brett guy hit puberty. I have domains older than him.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wonder if these people get so outraged when they see empty properties owned by real estate speculators. No doubt they think they should be either given them or allowed to buy them for the cost of the stone. Of course ask to buy *their* domain for $9.95 and see what kind of response you get.

... or gas and oil speculators who buy tons of gas and oil but don't use it, just resell it at a higher price.
... or people who buy precious metals (gold, silver, copper) and don't use them, just sell them at a higher price.
... or people who invest any kind of stocks just to sell them at a higher price.
... or people who deal in collectibles who just buy them to only sell them at a profit.
... or the "American Pickers".

the list can go on and on and on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom