Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

DSLR camera suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My HP R818 is on its last legs now - the batteries are starting to get swollen (killer for the battery life), the shutter doesn't open all the way so most pictures have a black area in the lower left corner (not much) and it's just not meting my needs anymore.

I've decided that if I can afford it, it's time to step up to a DSLR camera but sadly I know nothing about them.

My main concerns are burst shots and price. I'd love to find one that takes 10 shots a second for under $100 but I think we're still a few decades away from that. :D

I've seen some that advertise 2-5 shots a second which is pretty good but are just out of my price range.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'd like to keep the $$$ for a body and lens as low as possible (and then I can start saving up for better lenses).

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're criteria and pricing are quite impossible to match up.

But if you are set on a DSLR, here are CNET's recommendations:

http://reviews.cnet.com/budget-slr-cameras/?tag=featuredStory

To meet your requirements, here is my best recommendation for the money...and it is not a DSLR.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-megazoom-cameras/?tag=

It is CNET's highest rated megazoom camera AND IT ALSO SHOOTS FULL HD VIDEO!

I had (and still have) an earlier version of this camera (only 12x zoom) that is an incredible piece of equipment...macro, zoom, video. It is the one and only camera that I take on oversee's trips as it will do it all and I don't need to carry multiple lenses. All the Lumix line are awesome and typically very highly rated by the CNET editors and users.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nikon D40 or D3100 - But the range are from $350 - $550 with regular lens (18-55mm).
Sell some names and buy a decent one. I used many Nikon: D40, D60, D80 and D90 and now I have the D90 as a main one and D3100 for backup.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is very important that no matter what you choose, the storage card is equally if not more important.

If SDHC, you should be looking for minimally Class 6 but I highly recommend Class 10. Class 10 is fast write speeds especially for burst shooting or video.

Brands that have been extremely reliable for me are SanDisk. But, for the money, Transcend (in SDHC or Compact Flash) have been extremely reliable and performed flawlessly.

Having the best camera is of little value if your card does not capture the images.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot about the D3100 and it's predecessor (D50). A lot of good but some suggest the D5000 which is a little more (about $100?) and well worth the $$$. Both are out of my price range at this time but I'm sure I could save it up in a month or two (or beg my wife for a little $$$). ;)

I don't care about video - I have a great Flip for that (it shoots HD).

Doc - on the panasonic, how is the burst shot mode (no one sells this one locally to me in a B&M store?)? This is my main focus.

Edit: on the Panasonic a lot of the reviews say the quality isn't that good, especially in low light / mixed light environments (even the good reviews say this).

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Sony I linked is not there. You're in love with that Panasonic, aren't you? It's $70-$100 more than the Sony.

I've seen many reviews on the Panasonic and it seems that there are many complaints about image quality as well as quality in low light areas.

How is the burst with the Panasonic?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Sony I linked is not there. You're in love with that Panasonic, aren't you? It's $70-$100 more than the Sony.

I've seen many reviews on the Panasonic and it seems that there are many complaints about image quality as well as quality in low light areas.

How is the burst with the Panasonic?
I am a fanatical user of Sony products, owning cameras a100, a350, a55 (I'm in the market for an a850 or a900), two different Camcorders, along with other electronics.

My love of the Panasonic superzooms comes from actually using them as well. They have far exceeded my expectations in quality and durability. The one I purchased 7 years ago is still going strong. I still use it and it still performs as new and this is after perhaps tens of thousands of images all the way from Italy and other parts of the world. I have had HP and Olympus cameras that lasted perhaps 3 years at best before finally giving out.

I am sure you will do well with the Sony. I have an idea that you are also wanting to shoot HD movies based on the links you have sent me. Panasonic has incorporated their HD motion picture technology into their still cameras long before Sony has. Sony was very rigid about keeping the two technologies separate to...you guessed it...get people to buy both the still cameras and the motion cameras. For that reason alone (motion picture capabilities) I would feel more comfortable with the Panasonic.

I understand about image quality. Personally, I love working with RAW files for photo quality. Most point and shoot types would typically work with JPEG.

I can not stress enough that the quality of the card is as equally important in the decision making process as selecting the camera itself.

The Sony I linked is not there
Precisely. These are the top rated and editor's choice from CNET.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Precisely. These are the top rated and editor's choice from CNET.

The Sony is new, not many sites have reviews on it and the ones that do have good reviews. I am not worried about HD video capabilities, I have a Flip (Slade) for that.

I've never worked with RAW photo files, also. Can they be converted easily into more common formats for sharing (jpeg etc..)?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Sony is new, not many sites have reviews on it and the ones that do have good reviews. I am not worried about HD video capabilities, I have a Flip (Slade) for that.

I've never worked with RAW photo files, also. Can they be converted easily into more common formats for sharing (jpeg etc..)?
With the proper photo software, yes...they can be converted. But, that software also needs to recognize RAW format. RAW is a plus for professional photographers (or serious hobbyists).

Doubtful you will go wrong with the SONY. Plus, if you are ordering this from Amazon, Amazon has the best return policy of anyone I have ever dealt with.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have Photshop CS3 (and Illustrator CS3), Photoshop Elements (forgot the version) and Nero Photo Express (I use that one a lot) - I'm assuming the Adobe products would handle the RAW files?

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have Photshop CS3 (and Illustrator CS3), Photoshop Elements (forgot the version) and Nero Photo Express (I use that one a lot) - I'm assuming the Adobe products would handle the RAW files?
Yup, you got it. CS3 can handle just about anything. RAW files have the ability (especially with your megapixels range) to make incredibly large images and retain the clarity and sharpness. You could make the images poster size and still look crisp. They are a file hog so have a backup hard-drive to store the images. Many are so cheap these days.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This isn't strictly a DLSR, but Panasonic are a pretty good photography brand, and the Lumix takes good photos - the camera is Lumix DMC-FZ100EG-K.

If you want a good DSLR, I'd suggest a Canon 550d. All Canon's I've had have been reliable, and I know a lot of pro's that use them.

Adobe Photoshop CS3 will handle most raw files, using Adobe Camera Raw - not sure about CR2's (which are what Canon's use) - but CS5 can definitely handle CR2 - if you decide to go for Canon 550d.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This isn't strictly a DLSR, but Panasonic are a pretty good photography brand, and the Lumix takes good photos - the camera is Lumix DMC-FZ100EG-K.
No, not DSLR which threw me off in my first post.

The Lumix DMC-FZ100EG-K has had tremendous good reviews from nearly every site I have read about. Amazon offers it at a great price. If I did not have a great point and shoot (an earlier Lumix) I would not hesitate to buy the 100.

The Adobe suites are sweet :) especially if you can get them at the student pricing.

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Also, the specs on the Sony HX100V and the best buy price is pretty damn good.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20030128-1.html?tag=rb_content;contentMain

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Doc Com I was busy earlier (playing with my new iMac!) so didn't have a chance to read through all the replies, so didn't realise you'd recommended Panasonic too. In a way, I think they're more practical than a normal SLR (unless you're a pro who needs state of the art lenses) as you get a lot more optical zoom with a Lumix (compared to hardly any with a standard slr lens) and the picture quality is very good.

Looking into things in more detail, I'd recommend http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC...R694/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1305561700&sr=8-6

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have the dough, Leica is the way to go. Period. I have a Canon Digital Rebel with a variety of lenses and am more than pleased with it.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting the Sony (sorry Panasonic people) and right now I so not regret it one bit. The zoom is incredible, I've taken 10 shots in about a second (burst mode). It has a lot I need to learn about it but so far I am extremely happy with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom