Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

DVD copying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma. I want to exercise my legal right to burn a personal backup of a copyrighted DVD, but the copy-protection on the DVD prevents me from doing that.

Is there a way around that? I remember those "little black boxes" that made protected VHS tapes copyable. Is there similar technology for DVD's yet?

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't expect to keep the DVD safe? :) From my limited understanding and research on this topic, most "copying" solutions simply convert the information into another format... stripping the DVD of its "menuing" and other custom features before re-constituting it again (which is pretty scarey to me). Some let you automate re-authoring them to make up for the lack of a one-to-one copy feature. When it seems the "features" of copiers thumb through all of the DVD's qualities, saying whether or not they are supported... I'm concerned that they need to do this because you never know what you're going to get. DVD's are complicated beasts.

Here's a "shoot-out" from c|net
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3670_7-5024535-1.html

I have friends who routinely use NetFlix to rent and copy stuff they don't even watch. I hope they cut it out. I also have one friend who prides himself on keeping his DVD collection nicely kept and away from scratches and other perils. I think the latter friend is much better off.

If something happens to one of my DVDs, I'd almost rather search for a discount DVD broker online for replacing it, rather than thinking some watered down copy is going to give me the warm fuzzies.

JMHO,
~ Nexus

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong... I am being sincere. I have a 10 month old, and the purpose of this is to be able to bring his DVD's in the car to play on the portable DVD player. Anyone here old enough to have kids and drive knows what happens to CD's & DVD's to go into cars. They rarely escape in one piece. I am just trying to find a sensible solution.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains said:
Anyone here old enough to have kids and drive knows what happens to CD's & DVD's to go into cars.
In the old days when I still read books (hard copy, paperbacks), I did have quite a collection of "second copies": one for reading (and sharing with friends/family), the other for "reserve". ;)

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains said:
They rarely escape in one piece. I am just trying to find a sensible solution. Thanks for the suggestions!
I get it... just one of those things though, a lot of those rippers are hit or miss I think. If the copy-protection breaker works, that sounds like the fool-proof route to go. Blank DVD's are still moderately expensive, and it stinks to wait for a whole copy to be burned just to find out the percentage of failure.

I followed diederik's link. This looks like a nice tutorial:
http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

~ Nexus

jsonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DVD Shrink will do what you need. As far as blank media costing a bank roll, that is not really so. Go check out www.shop4tech.com and look at the matrix brand cd's. 100 packs are dirt cheap and I am yet to get 1 coaster from them ... great blanks all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom