Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Dynadot Expired Auctions Site Misconfigured

Status
Not open for further replies.

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, this is what happens:

I find an expiring domain that is on auction at Dynadot. It has expired 38 days ago. I wait until the last moment. I place a bid. I win the auction. I pay for the domain. A day or two later, the previous owner checks what has happened to his expired domain which he was monitoring all the time. He realises it was sold in auction. He recovers the domain for regular reg fee on day 39 or 40. Dynadot sends me an email saying it was renewed. I end up with nothing.

I contact Dynadot. They say they are happy with the system.

Some time later again I join another auction. There are some other bidders. The price goes high. I win the auction. I pay. An auction loser contacts previous owner. Previous owner renews on day 39, one day after auction. I get nothing.

I contact Dynadot. They say they like the current system.

Similar things happen with two more domains. I end up losing 4 domains I won on auction at Dynadot. In total I have won 20. This is 20% reversed auctions at Dynadot versus none at Godaddy where I bought more than 100 domains over the years. No surprise, Godaddy does not allow ref fee recovery after auction.

Then I get super annoyed and write some stronger email to Dynadot. Again they don't listen. Then I post this article on my site:
http://www.namecatch.com/main/dynadot-expired-auctions-problem

Then some useless punk on another forum says they need that extra day or two to come up with the money and 38 days is not enough. Then I get more crazy.

Just wanted to share this here too.

Erdy

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You realize it's not different with the other auctions houses like godaddy, namejet, snapnames... some domain holders are gaming the system to gauge possible interest before they drop their names for good.
While I agree it's a source of frustration it does not look like it's an issue specific to Dynadot.

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Other sites don't allow reg fee recovery after the auction. Godaddy charges $80 after day 22 which solves the problem 90%. Dynadot allows 40 days for $8, the regular renewal fee. Most registrars don't allow recovery at all after 30 or 35 days.

The killer combination here is reg fee recovery and after auction recovery combined together at Dynadot. This is not available elsewhere.

Reg fee recovery after auction, allows a domainer to let expire all his domains just to watch what will happen in auction.

For some reason I opened 3 topics (1 here and 2 elsewhere) and always people who don't understand the problem have posted and I have seen nobody who understood the problem.

Last edited:

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is certainly disappointing when it happens. I think everyone understands the issue, but it just doesn't happen enough to make it a huge problem in most people's eyes (and obviously in Dynadot's). I've won a lot of names at auction there, and it happens less than 1 in 25 times from my experience. They could change it, and it would probably improve the system overall, but I just don't care that much about it. Giving them more publicity and attention by posting all of this is not going to help the issue and may just make it worse.

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping other domainers will contact Dynadot and ask them to correct this issue and Dynadot might then listen.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm the useless punk that likes the fact that DynaDot gives me extra time to renew my names and doesn't charge me an arm and a leg to do it.

I'm contacting them now as per your request and telling them to keep up the great work.

Mike

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What ever happened to that thread, was it deleted by the mods, lucky for you as it certainly hurt your character. I don't recall one post in your favor after you ran your mouth and personally attacked me for providing my thought as someone on the other side/end, the current domain owner.

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Where does Dynadot auction their expiring domains ?

erdinc

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The owner can renew it for regular renewal fee ($8.25) until day 41 which is 2 days later after the auction end. This gives the previous owner to use the expired auctions for promotion or as a free appraisal tool. Especially big portfolio holders at dynadot let their domains go to auction on purpose just to watch what will happen. After all there is no downside. They pay the same money if they renew before the expiry date, or after the expiry date and before the auction or after the auction.

My objection to dynadot is the reg fee recovery combined with after auction recovery. They should cancel one of them. Either don't let recover at reg fee (add an extra fee after lets say day 35) or don't let recover after the auction. I spent so much time scanning those lists every day and a lot of domains I won get pulled back.

I asked domainers for their contribution in solving this problem (email dynadot and tell them to fix this problem) however the response from domainers has been rubbish. There are a lot of annoying and silly people in this business. I'm very annoyed with the domainer community at the moment because of the stupid responses. Some people emailed dynadot to tell them they like it more this way.

So what's the go. You actually pay a fee if you win the name in auction but the owner renews it? How much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom