Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

E911 a failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Story

It's very likely that when you call 911 from your cell phone in an emergency, the operator on the other end won't automatically know your location.

This is despite the fact that most U.S. mobile phone companies have met a Federal Communications Commission mandate to provide location information to 911 operators for millions of wireless subscribers. After years of work, the wireless phone industry is still a long way from full deployment of what is known as enhanced 911 service, or E911.

With the exception of only a few companies, wireless carriers have met obligations set forth by the FCC to get their networks and phones ready to provide the service to 95 percent of their subscribers.

Domain Days 2024

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Several problems may occur when calling 911 from a wireless phone, and location information is just one of them.

Speaking from extensive personal experience in assisting numerous people in crisis in San Diego County, California, I have oftentimes waited for a protracted period to get an operator on the line.

These extended waits have at least three causes: innumerable calls for the same incident, frivolous 911 calls, and inadequate staffing.

Not being able to reach 911 has resulted in people dying because they could not get through.

And this is an EXTREMELY disquieting issue to me, as I have been unable to get through when assisting others in crisis.

I have to try to locate a regular phone, while attempting to make contact with multiple wireless phones, and pray that I can get through to someone.

So the staffing problem, particularly in large metropolitan areas, needs to be addressed, as well as the location information issue.

Additionally, 311, or alternative non-emergency numbers, need to be implemented in all communities.

The wireless 911 issue is extremely important and serious, and I will continue addressing this concern in my community by filing complaints and sending communications to anyone who can act on this life-or-death problem.

Thank you for the post and for raising this important issue on the forum, Rockefeller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom