Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Easier to remember domain names in caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fizz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here’s an interesting article about the unique impact that brands have on our brains, including that they’re more easily recognized when in capital letters.

From a domain name point of view, I find the results interesting given that most website addresses – including those used as brands - are in lower case.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992662

Domain summit 2024

Very interesting article fizz, surprises me that caps/lowercase makes a difference.

I'm not surprised that brands evoke an emotional response though, thats the kind of link marketers strive for - especially if they can get an aspirational link.

jalapeno

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Interesting article...

Maybe people are used to seeing brands capitalized (beginning letter), so they stand out more when in all caps than in small letters?

KLEENEX vs. kleenex

The all-caps looks more like a brand because the uncapitalized one doesn't have a beginning cap, making it appear to be a standard word.

Not sure if it would apply to domain names, though, since people are used to seeing them in small letters.

www.kleenex.com
www.KLEENEX.com

The capitalized one doesn't look quite right. Hmm....

good point, to me Kleenex.com would be better than either kleenex.com or KLEENEX.com.

Also, the more time spent on line the more all capitalized lettering screams "shouting" or "newbie" neither of which are good associations.

jalapeno

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, very true... all caps online has different connotations than all caps offline. For that reason I don't think the study's findings would translate to domain names. However, the principles could still be useful online for the purpose of logo and brand name display on a site.

My own logo is in all small letters... maybe it's time to rethink that!

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Caps are much easier to read to and letter are less liable to be mistaken for others. It's just when there are tooooo many capitiols that it gets annoying - MY 2 CENTS ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators