Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

easterisland.travel bought. Thoughts of .travel domains?

Marcus Edensky

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I just obtained the domain easterisland.travel for 1545 USD. It's for my tour agency called Easter Island Travel. I earlier used the domain easterislandtraveling.com (blog article about the sale: www (dot) easterisland (dot) travel/blog/premium-travel-domain-obtained-and-company-name-change/)

I'm personally happy about the price. I've been searching internet about .travel domain sales though, and I haven't been able to find a single one. How much does a premium .travel domain go for in general? Perhaps there hasn't been a big market yet for .travel domains, as people have been able to get good names by simply being the first one to register.

What is the general opinion of .travel domains though? What impression does it give? Does it feel spammy to you, or is it a serious extension? chile.travel is the official tourism site of Chile, so that suddenly makes it feel serious and legit here, but what about the rest of the world?

Thanks!

Domain summit 2024

accelerator

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, it doesn't feel spammy to me. I think you're new domain is much better than your old one.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I completely disagree with accelerator. I don't like it. If it was a single word .travel I'd like it a lot more. Also, chile.travel is the official site? Who certifies that? I've seen plenty of companies claim to be an official site.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
When was the last time people type in .travel for the extension?
These new extensions are Scam to me as far as I am concerned.
ICANN just wants more money.

I am not a fan at all of these new extension.

Marcus Edensky

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your inputs!
@Shane: It's a site by SERNATUR, or SERvicio NAcional de TURismo - "National tourism service" in Chile.

@Johnn: Do you think will be changing at all as time passes? What do you think of .info and .net?

Would you say .travel is the same as .vacations, .rentals, .cruises etc, and all other new extensions, or does it look better/worse?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ah. I've seen so many "official" tourism sites. Most of the time it's a load of crap.

I'd say they are all the same. Too long and too new to invest in.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.travel has been around for quite a few years, and it's a failure. Notwithstanding the fact that it's used by a few official tourist boards.
I can't say you are getting good value for money, but at least you are the end user and you are going to use this domain.
But I don't think it makes sense to buy that kind of domain on the aftermarket. But it's just me. Good luck :)

Marcus Edensky

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
In the end, it all boils down to the domain we actually can obtain. Of course, easterisland.com would be the best, but the owner asks for lots of $.$$$.$$$. To bme, easterisland.travel is the next best thing. One of the reasons is because it has the keywords I want it to have (my company name) while being as short as can be. Even though it failed to become as big as .info etc, to be it still means a lot that many official government tourist services actually use this extension. My own opinion is the same as the one of accelerator - I think the new domain (easterisland.travel) is much better than the old, long one (easterislandtraveling.com).

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom