Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Ebay feedback question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of negative feedback posts at Ebay, where auctions have gone wrong in at least one persons eyes. What sort of legal accountablility is there for comments left as feedback - I mean if I post as feedback something like "Buyer is retarded, doesn't understand electronics, don't trade with him", what, if any legal ramifications do I open myself up to?

I suppose the same question could be extended to comments made in posts on forums like DNF.

(For the record I'm not planning on posting any questionable comments!)

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Webname: Not a lawyer, but a layman's opinion is that the truth is usually a good defense to libel.
I doubt that you could prove the buyer is retarded, unless he or she really is; even if so, would you really want to make that claim?
Doesn't understand electronics--I have known people with phd's who couldn't balance a checkbook--book sense but no common sense, etc.
Bottom line, stick to the brief facts only, no editorials recomended and you should be ok.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks and for the record I wasn't planning on calling anyone "retarded", just interested in the legal ramifications if anyone did so.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Thanks and for the record I wasn't planning on calling anyone "retarded", just interested in the legal ramifications if anyone did so.

------------------------------
understand, it was just a theoretical question. one additional comment is that when i am evaluating buying something from someone on ebay and i have no previous experience with them, i will look at not only the comments left about them, but the comments they leave for others and whether or not they keep it professional, etc.

Flexi Web Host

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
as long as your criticism is constructive and not abusive then you will be fine but when it becomes abusive the matter could go further

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree as long as its not abusive you will be fine....like using the F word and stuff ebay will ban you for sure.

Buyer doesn't understand electronics, don't trade with him.......... i think will not matter.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
There have been several instances where Ebay was sued in order to remove feedback and they were not forced to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom